Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+2
Drew.Rub
Paeter
6 posters

Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome Empty Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome

Post  Paeter December 21st 2012, 1:35 pm

Forgot all about this coming. Thought it was going to be a new ongoing series, but I guess its just a 12 Ep web series. After all Eps are released it will be played all together on SyFy, followed by an unrated DVD/Bluray release.

I think I might wait until all Eps are released to watch it. But most have been released already.

Here's the page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT79x4qM4FE&feature=share&list=SPrFaRFw9s4G4OYkHPs0afqM_nT0jLvvPy

www.spiritblade.com

Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome Empty Re: Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome

Post  Guest December 21st 2012, 6:27 pm

I got the impression it was meant to be a full-blown series, but the producers opted not to take it to series after the pilot had been completed.
    Drew.Rub
    Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome Empty Re: Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome

Post  Drew.Rub December 23rd 2012, 11:14 am

Paeter wrote:Forgot all about this coming. Thought it was going to be a new ongoing series, but I guess its just a 12 Ep web series. After all Eps are released it will be played all together on SyFy, followed by an unrated DVD/Bluray release.

I think I might wait until all Eps are released to watch it. But most have been released already.

Here's the page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT79x4qM4FE&feature=share&list=SPrFaRFw9s4G4OYkHPs0afqM_nT0jLvvPy

Oh FRACK!!! Now this is what Battlestar Galactica should be!!! Ep 3 and this is awesome. Addicted half way though Ep2. I know already I WANT MORE!!!!
    ProfessorAlan
    ProfessorAlan

Activity : 115
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  ProfessorAlan December 23rd 2012, 11:42 am

After the disaster that was Caprica, it seems that no network wanted to take the chance of airing Blood & Chrome over the air.
    Drew.Rub
    Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub December 23rd 2012, 11:44 am

Adds on the YouTube channel says airing on SyFy in Feb 2013. This is so definately worth it. Even if it's just on YouTube from here on out, I've subscribed to the channel and will watch new eps.

DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington December 25th 2012, 12:56 am

I watched the first few episodes of Battlestar Galactica but now I can't get the DVD to play. Crying or Very sad I guess that's what I get for getting a used copy, but hey, it was cheap. Anyway so far I'm liking it. The first episode was meh to me, but each following one got better and better IMO. I love the conversations Dr. Gaius has with the robot in his head.
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate December 27th 2012, 8:08 pm

Thanks for the link and the info Paeter, I loved the series but I hadn't heard of this one yet so I'm exited to start watching these!

BenAvery
    BenAvery

Activity : 322
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  BenAvery December 31st 2012, 11:10 am

Blood and Chrome was pretty good.

On one hand, it was nice to return to that universe, and on the other hand it was not so deep but had a lot of action.

it still tried to dig into a meaty sci-fi theme, but that was not the full intention.

My one complaint: with just a couple extra lines they could have really bridged the gap between Caprica and BSG. Unfortunately, as a prequel, Caprica really caused more questions to be asked than to be answered. If the Cylons came from [spoiler redacted] than how did they end up [spoiler redacted], especially if the first one {spoiler redacted]???

But what I've learned about BSG (and caprice) is that they enjoy bringing up questions before the writers have the answers . . . and if they never figure out the answer, they just change the question . . .

Blood and Chrome, however, works nicely as a stand alone story, or as a testing ground for people who are more into Star Wars and are curious about BSG.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter February 13th 2013, 4:56 pm

Finally watched it all today, and agree with a lot of what Ben said here.

I don't think the quality was quite up to what I've expected from the show, but not much below it either. A few writing choices seemed there only to artificially create tension or friction. The co-ed showers made no sense to me. (Didn't in Starship Troopers, either.) Rebecca finding and saying the "don't kill us we're friendlies" password at the last minute made her look inept and unprepared and didn't make sense. It also made no sense for her to keep their mission a secret from Adama and his co-pilot for as long as she did. There was no danger in her telling them what she eventually did at gunpoint, and even with the further information revealed later (also at gunpoint) it didn't change the fact that keeping the mission objective a secret seemed more a device to keep viewers in the dark and had no logical motive in the story.

Despite Blood and Chrome resting a bit on fans' pre-existing love of Adama and interest in the BSG universe(rather than truly pushing itself creatively as the original show did), it was still a good experience and one I'd recommend, given that it's free online.

Also played with AI themes a bit again. The woman who helped create the brains of the Cylons observed, as they watched a "screaming" Cylon, that they can "feel pain". I assume she claimed to know this given her experience in helping to create the Cylons, but I don't see how she could have done more than create a very convincing simulation of a machine feeling pain.

It made more sense to me, as was suggested in the series, that "God" gave living souls to the Cyclons, and this resulted in the incoming data regarding damage to an individual cylon unit gaining a negative, emotional component and becoming what we know as "pain". Without this being the case, it seems to me that no matter how complex a simulation, Cylon systems damage would ultimately be described as Arnold's terminator described it in T2: Judgment Day, as simply being "data".

Anyway, this isn't a full blown review, just a collection of random thoughts. Definitely a good experience, though not a great one. I doubt I will buy the blu-ray (as I imagine the minor shortcomings of the visuals will only stand out more in HiDef) unless Blood And Chrome becomes the basis or "pilot" of an actual ongoing series.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 2nd 2024, 12:27 am