Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+2
ComiKate
Paeter
6 posters

When Do You Know You've Been "Geeking" Too Much?

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

When Do You Know You've Been "Geeking" Too Much? Empty When Do You Know You've Been "Geeking" Too Much?

Post  Paeter August 1st 2013, 11:44 am

I'm in the early planning stages for an In Search Of Truth segment on The Spirit Blade Underground Podcast that will approach the topic of geekery and time management. As you probably know, we geeks can go overboard not just with the money we spend, but maybe even more often the time we give to our geek interests.

Are there any signals or indications you've discovered in your life that tell you you've been spending too much time geeking out on something or geeking out in general?

www.spiritblade.com
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

When Do You Know You've Been "Geeking" Too Much? Empty Re: When Do You Know You've Been "Geeking" Too Much?

Post  ComiKate August 1st 2013, 3:06 pm

Wait. You can spend too much time geeking out?! What a Face 

On a (slightly) more serious note: it's when the stretches of time that I don't speak to people outside of work grow too long. What exactly is "too long" may vary under different circumstances and periods in my life, but I usually know it when it's that time again.
    Although when asked I'll deny it of course. clown
    Which... would be yet another symptom...

Oh well.

Although I have to say I'm managing the balance better since I added another way to spend my spare time to the mix, which has nothing to do with geekery but a lot with this other core of my being (how many are there anyway??): being creative with colors and working on what I'd like to call paper art. Of course I'm doing a blog (with videos!) on that as well, which might be considered just a teeny tiny bit of a geeky activity by some, but hey.
    To me it's working with something the Lord gave me, and I try to honour him in that work - check out my About page to read more on that (and it's in English this time so yea Wink).
    That helps me to not "having my geek on" like 100% of my free time and scaling it back to somewhat more manageable proportions. Rolling Eyes 
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

When Do You Know You've Been "Geeking" Too Much? Empty Re: When Do You Know You've Been "Geeking" Too Much?

Post  mindspike August 1st 2013, 3:19 pm

Top 10 signs your geek flag is flying too high, too long:

10. Your calendar week starts on Wednesday when new comics are delivered.
    9. You constantly wear dark glasses to avoid accidental neuralization.
    8. You skip martial arts class to practice on your "Lightsaber" app.
    7. You regularly carry valuables such as money and jewelry in a leather pouch tied to your belt.
    6. You mentally convert all prices into gold pieces.
    5. You check the iTunes store regularly to see if the "Transporter" app is ready yet.
    4. Your sociology paper discusses race relations between elves and dwarves.
    3. When going places with friends, you instinctively put the spellcaster at the back of the group.
    2. You've considered experimenting with toxic waste on the off chance it will give you superpowers.
    1. Every decision and response is preceded by a dice check.

Does that help?

ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate August 1st 2013, 3:37 pm

lol! lol! lol! 
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter August 5th 2013, 5:46 pm

mindspike wrote:Top 10 signs your geek flag is flying too high, too long:
    --
    Does that help?

Freakin FUNNY! lol! lol! lol! 

But... not really.

Wink 

www.spiritblade.com
    Drew.Rub
    Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub August 6th 2013, 10:43 am

Paeter wrote:Are there any signals or indications you've discovered in your life that tell you you've been spending too much time geeking out on something or geeking out in general?

Uh, I can swear in Mando'a, and several other SW languages. Which is helpful when I want to swear w/o really swearing.

However, I might be geeking out on Star Wars a little too much.
    tmorrill
    tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill August 7th 2013, 12:28 am

The big sign for me is I begin to look at this life through the mindset of that show.

It happens especially when I discover a new show/book and just burn right through seasons of it in a few weeks.

A good example of that would be Watchmen and V for Vendetta (the graphic novels). I got them and had both of them read in a few days, and my international relations class had the midterm paper come due at this time, and I had to write about if I thought the 21st century would be more or less war prone than the 20th century. Since I was so engrossed in/had my mindset warped by those universes I pretty much said everything short of, "We're all going to die!".
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington August 8th 2013, 9:02 am

Pretty much everything (every story, piece of art, commercial and so on) has a message, whether intentional or not, so we are always being bombarded with messages, whether we realize it or not. If we are unrestrained in the stuff we are geeking out about we start to think the way what we are entertaining ourselves with thinks, much like what tmorrill was saying, and I agree with him in that when I start thinking that way, I know I need to put that stuff away and start focusing on God again, counter-balancing the worldly ideas by praying and reading God's Word. I'm not necessarily always good at that, but it is something I'm working on.
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington August 8th 2013, 9:02 am

Pretty much everything (every story, piece of art, commercial and so on) has a message, whether intentional or not, so we are always being bombarded with messages, whether we realize it or not. If we are unrestrained in the stuff we are geeking out about we start to think the way what we are entertaining ourselves with thinks, much like what tmorrill was saying, and I agree with him in that when I start thinking that way, I know I need to put that stuff away and start focusing on God again, counter-balancing the worldly ideas by praying and reading God's Word. I'm not necessarily always good at that, but it is something I'm working on.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 28th 2024, 6:09 am