Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+3
mikel.withers
Reed Benson
Paeter
7 posters

What Are You Geeking Right Now And Why?

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

What Are You Geeking Right Now And Why? Empty What Are You Geeking Right Now And Why?

Post  Paeter January 20th 2017, 11:26 am

Status check, nerds! What are you geeking and why? Books, comics, shows, movies, games, whatever!

I've hit a potentially frustrating mission in Assassin's Creed, so I'm putting it down and picking up some abandoned games.

Dragon's Dogma is a lot more fun than I remembered. I think when I set it down I was just in the mood for a different kind of RPG, but picking it up again I can't remember what my problem was. Getting the hang of crafting and enhancing, which makes collecting very gratifying. And playing a mage involves a cool control mechanic, where you hold down left trigger and a letter button to charge up a spell while using the right stick to select a target. Then after 3 seconds of charging you release the buttons and your spell flies off with an explosive impact. A really neat way of conveying the sense to the player physically. Fun every time I do it.

Of equal fun is Neverwinter Nights 2, which I returned to a couple days ago. I won't want to play it every night, especially once I'm done prepping my office for painting and get back to computer work. But I just love all the spell options and light tactical choices. I don't think any other RPG has made me feel as much like my idea of a "Wizard" when compared to Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2. I'm actually planning to take the Steam Controller I got for Christmas and make these two games my first project for creating custom controls. I'm not super optimistic, but given the existing key binding options I think there's a good chance that it will work better than some other PC strategy/rts games.

Finally, I'm chipping away at the last disc of Lost Odyssey. I enjoy the combat and progression so much in that game, but it has infrequent save points and large puzzle dungeons. Which means playing that game means playing ONLY that game for nearly an entire evening. Additionally, it's the kind of JRPG where if you don't do all the obscure, unhinted side quests available before the final dungeon (quests you'd only know about by playing with a strategy guide in your lap), you won't be leveled enough to beat the game. And oh yeah, the monsters that fill up the final dungeon don't give you XP. So no leveling there. Have to find the special secret dungeon with high level monsters to grind for awhile. Hate that crap. BUT! The combat, spell animations, interesting monster designs, ALL make it worth killing a Saturday afternoon now and then. So that may be what I do tomorrow!

www.spiritblade.com
    Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

What Are You Geeking Right Now And Why? Empty Re: What Are You Geeking Right Now And Why?

Post  Reed Benson January 23rd 2017, 12:18 am

I recently read a few graphic novels that I downloaded from my hometown library's digital service (which is wonderful for an expat like me).

Mark Waid's Archie series is shockingly enjoyable. I got to read the first two trades. I used to love reading the old Archie digest comics, but they were always so cheesy. Waid modernizes the characters and puts them in a more realistic setting while still keeping many of their traditional traits. Archie is still clumsy but oddly popular, Jughead is sardonic and eats a lot, Betty is a bit of a tomboy and has a strong will, Veronica is spoiled rich but has a heart somewhere in there, and Reggie is a major jerk (though perhaps in a bit of a darker way). I'm not always into relationship comics, but this one's got just enough humor and is (so far) appropriate for pretty much all ages. Plus, there's the name recognition of both Archie and Mark Waid (who did Irredeemable and Incorruptible, both of which I more or less enjoyed).

I also read the third Odd Thomas graphic novel, House of Odd. I've only read one other of these, and I haven't read any of Dean Koontz's prose novels about the character or seen the movie. That said, I enjoyed it. I like the character because he can see ghosts, but he's not all mopey and angsty. He has a compassionate heart for them and wants to help them finish their business and get on to the afterlife. This story, though, was more about demons possessing a house, so it was creepy and fairly exciting. I don't know where the author stands spiritually (it wasn't written by Koontz, it's just about his character), but none of the stuff in the story offended my sensibilities that I can remember.

And finally, I read Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant, which was fun and had good art and characters. I am cautious about the fact that the eponymous protagonist is so nonchalant about killing and stealing. Those are pretty heavy deeds, and even though her victims seem to be soldiers and pirates themselves, the fact that she's so casual about everything seems to set a bad example, IMO. Maybe it's addressed in later volumes.

P.S., I'm probably the only one who cares about pro wrestling here, but I have been enamored by CWF Mid-Atlantic's YouTube program, as well. Masterful storytelling for such a small-level promotion.
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

What Are You Geeking Right Now And Why? Empty Re: What Are You Geeking Right Now And Why?

Post  mikel.withers January 23rd 2017, 10:51 am

Well, I WAS geeking out on KOTOR 2, but I finished it yesterday.
    It is such a shame that there was no KOTOR 3, and I wish there were novelizations of the games.
    I threw down the $10 because I'm on the final season of The Clone Wars cartoon and it got me in the mood for more Star Wars. Maybe, just maybe, I'll go back to SWTOR, the mmo, but I really had no idea what I was doing in that in the first place, and do I really want to buy a subscription to get the good stuff?

So, looks like it will be back to World of Tanks for me.

***addendum***
    Wait, how on earth did I forget...?
    I went to the Rescue Mission store with my wife, to look at some antique dishes...well, I went to amuse her, but she went to look at dishes... anyway, they had this enormous shelf unit of old VHS tapes and cds and games (mostly old Maddens and Tiger Woods) so, I'm looking through the music ones, and they have a wildly eclectic combination and it is all mixed together, but I did find P.O.D.'s "Satellite", which has some good songs, but I lost the disk and backup years ago, but they also had a REAL gem.
    D.C. Talk's "Free At Last" from 1992. 1992... I was a sophomore and junior during that year, and the music on here reflects that day and age to a "t".
    "Luv is a Verb"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRfFuhrdGKM
    "The Hardway" (hard way...just sayin') ( and where Kevin Max looks like a criminal mastermind)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUA-tGisDsg
    "Jesus Is Just Alright"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqCccV6Y31s
    and such well know other titles as "Word 2 the Father", "I Don't Want It" -your s.e.x. for now-, and "2 Honks & a Negro" no joke.

So much fun, but I keep 90's dancing around work... I work in a church... and my boss, the pastor, said he'll never get "that" out of his mind.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter January 24th 2017, 9:24 am

mikel.withers wrote:Well, I WAS geeking out on KOTOR 2, but I finished it yesterday.

On PC I assume? With all the fan patches/fix that complete the game?

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1094
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  jorowi January 24th 2017, 1:11 pm

The first DC Talk album I listened to was "Nu Thang". This was before Toby Mac learned to sing.

First Christian rap I heard was "Fresh Fish" by Say What?

Twitter
    Instagram
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings January 24th 2017, 4:58 pm

I've been in bed with a bad back for three days, which gave me a chance to binge on some Netflix.
    I watched all of The Shanara Chronicles. I've never read the books so was coming into it completely fresh. Interesting story and reasonably enjoyable. I wonder if the books were as "YA" as the TV show. Seems to have been heavily aimed at the 18 to 20-something crowd. They certainly played the sex-appeal card a few times. Interesting to see epic fantasy done as a far-future post-post-post-apocalypse though. They never really did explain where the elves, gnomes etc came from, or the origin of all this magic.

I also watched some more Frequency. Naarly all caught up now. It's a little lighter on the sci-fi side than would be my preference, but all in all a great story.

And I'm still reading Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson. Managed to find a comfortable position to sit last night so I could binge on a few chapters.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter January 25th 2017, 11:05 am

jorowi wrote:The first DC Talk album I listened to was "Nu Thang". This was before Toby Mac learned to sing.

First Christian rap I heard was "Fresh Fish" by Say What?

Holy crap, time machine! I'm in Junior High again! I thought me and my buddy were the only ones to have ever heard of this album.

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter January 25th 2017, 11:11 am

AdamCollings wrote:
    I watched all of The Shanara Chronicles. I've never read the books so was coming into it completely fresh. Interesting story and reasonably enjoyable. I wonder if the books were as "YA" as the TV show. Seems to have been heavily aimed at the 18 to 20-something crowd. They certainly played the sex-appeal card a few times. Interesting to see epic fantasy done as a far-future post-post-post-apocalypse though. They never really did explain where the elves, gnomes etc came from, or the origin of all this magic.

Everything remotely sexy/YA/CW about that show was inserted by the production. The books have NOTHING to do with that stuff. Yes they do often feature young characters coming into their own, but it's more subtle and thematic (like the Hobbits on LOTR) and certainly has nothing to do with sexual tension. Huge bummer. But the other stuff was working well for me. If the show would have continued I would have considered buying it and editing my own private cut of the each ep for personal viewing.

www.spiritblade.com
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers January 25th 2017, 1:09 pm

Paeter wrote:

On PC I assume? With all the fan patches/fix that complete the game?
    Yep. I never finished it back when it came out... although I know I played it (rental?)... so I don't know exactly what the completion mods were, but it works okay as a game, and pretty darn well as a story.
    I used cheats because the story is what I wanted more than the game, but I'm trying again without...going dark side this time, if I can force myself to be mean. Or, maybe I'll just cheat and give myself a bunch of dark side points.

Adam, Paeter is right on, the books didn't have any of that YA stuff. The sex appeal was overdone, and awkward to watch as an adult... I mean these are kids (or at least actors pretending to be kids), but not so bad as to make it unwatchable.
    I think I mentioned before that I watched it with my son, and we riffed on it constantly, which made the cheese factor really enjoyable.

But, if you want to know where all the different races came from... come from... you'll have to read the Word And Void series by Terry Brooks. Personally, I didn't care a whole lot for the Shanarra books, although he definitely grew as an author, but the W&V books are really good.

edit to add:
    John, I was introduced to DC Talk about 10 years ago, when my wife opened a "Jesus Freak" playing card at a KMart... so their stuff is still new to me. I will have to check out Nu Thang.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings January 26th 2017, 10:26 pm

My first introduction to DC Talk was the following. Christian Television Association was an organisation that produced ads for mainstream TV in Australia during the 80s and 90s.
    I always found this ad cringeworthy, even back in the day. (I liked the song, it was just the ad) Not sure if that was just a cultural divide between America and Australia, or if it really was just cheesy.

It was the album Jesus Freak that made me a fan of DC Talk.

AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings January 26th 2017, 10:42 pm

Paeter wrote:Everything remotely sexy/YA/CW about that show was inserted by the production. The books have NOTHING to do with that stuff. Yes they do often feature young characters coming into their own, but it's more subtle and thematic (like the Hobbits on LOTR) and certainly has nothing to do with sexual tension. Huge bummer. But the other stuff was working well for me. If the show would have continued I would have considered buying it and editing my own private cut of the each ep for personal viewing.

Yeah, I can understand characters that young being filled with hormones, but the whole "sexual attraction = immediate intercourse" felt very out of place for the setting and characters. Quite jarring actually.

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter January 27th 2017, 9:39 am

AdamCollings wrote:
    I always found this ad cringeworthy, even back in the day. (I liked the song, it was just the ad) Not sure if that was just a cultural divide between America and Australia, or if it really was just cheesy.

No, it's cringe worthy. To me anyway. Something about the way Toby Mac is talking feels unnatural or put on 3/4th of the time there. I think mainly in those self-introductions the cringe gets hold of me. Like the intro of a generic superhero team show.

"I'm sparkle, and I bring the power of light! (Cue effect)

I'm shadow! I bring the mystery of darkness (cue effect)

And I'm blaster! I bring the power of sound! (Cue effect)

All: Together, we are the sensory squad! (Cue theme song)"

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter January 27th 2017, 9:43 am

AdamCollings wrote:
    Yeah, I can understand characters that young being filled with hormones, but the whole "sexual attraction = immediate intercourse" felt very out of place for the setting and characters. Quite jarring actually.

Totally agree. I wonder if part of the reason is that we associate more modest and conservative relationships with something that looks medieval?

For me though it's probably largely about shallow, sexually-based relationships being treated as though they have weight.

www.spiritblade.com
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers January 27th 2017, 12:37 pm

Yup, that was one cheesy add. It isn't just you.

But don't you fellows understand that the higher one's personal beauty rating, the easier it is to fall into deep, emotionally fulfilling, and everlasting love? And when you get two beauteous people together, it is lights out!
    fxruizx
    fxruizx

Activity : 169
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  fxruizx January 27th 2017, 1:19 pm

I have started reading the first book in the Redwall series of books (never read them before) and enjoying it so far, though so far only the villain seems to have some depth :/, but only 15% in.

Also enjoying season 2 of Voltron on netflix, really really love this show and how its not just a monster battle ever episode, but being on netflix, it is very serialized Very Happy
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster January 30th 2017, 6:36 pm

Currently playing Final Fantasy VII on the PS4 and trying to get the Platinum I'm also trying to platinum all the Kingdom hearts games and with 1.5 and 2.5 coming out on the PS4 in March I'm looking pretty much spending the entire year trying to get all the Platinum for the series.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter January 31st 2017, 9:25 am

Rickster wrote:Currently playing Final Fantasy VII on the PS4 and trying to get the Platinum I'm also trying to platinum all the Kingdom hearts games and with 1.5 and 2.5 coming out on the PS4 in March I'm looking pretty much spending the entire year trying to get all the Platinum for the series.

With the 30 yr anniversary of Final Fantasy coming in December I had the crazy idea of playing through all the games in the series. Then I realized that yes, that's a crazy idea and I haven't fully woken up yet.

How far are you in FF7? How does the experience hold up for you?

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster January 31st 2017, 1:55 pm

Paeter wrote:How far are you in FF7? How does the experience hold up for you?

I just finished part 1

The first time I played the game was on my PSP so I don't have this connection to it that everyone else has and even that play through I ended up getting lost and never beating it. I wasn't even planning on getting it for the ps4 but I learned that they had added trophies and cheats that make the game less tedious so I decided to play it and hopefully finally (no pun intended) finishing it.
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers February 1st 2017, 10:09 am

Cheats are great for following the story of a game, without having to really invest in a game.
    I think RPGs lend themselves to it very well because they are often so story driven.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter February 1st 2017, 11:58 am

mikel.withers wrote:Cheats are great for following the story of a game, without having to really invest in a game.
    I think RPGs lend themselves to it very well because they are often so story driven.

Oh my gosh don't get me started! I have SOOOOO missed the days of consoles having cheat devices like the game genie/shark/etc. SO many action games I would love to play for their setting and atmosphere but stay a million miles from because I suck at action games.

Granted, I discovered a few years ago when I tried out Bioshock that many action games include difficulty setting options easy enough for me to make it through without real frustration. But many games don't or their "easy" mode isn't easy enough for me.

I'd love for developers to create a difficulty called "I suck at games" that allows you to activate a variety of cheats like infinite time/health. etc. Even if it required some trophy or watermark on the screen making it clear that I'm cheating, or sending a message out via social media saying "I suck at games", I don't care. Just let me see the world you worked so hard to build!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter February 1st 2017, 12:01 pm

As an update:

I'm now playing Assassin's Creed 2 and Far Cry Primal (more of the latter) and really enjoying them! I think I really dig the Ubisoft formula of open world action with RPG character/equip development. They also do a great job with their sound design, making me really feel present in the game. Especially in assassin's Creed where I can hear my equipment jingling as I walk and my palms touching the buildings as I climb. LOVE that stuff!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings February 1st 2017, 7:23 pm

Paeter wrote:Oh my gosh don't get me started! I have SOOOOO missed the days of consoles having cheat devices like the game genie/shark/etc. SO many action games I would love to play for their setting and atmosphere but stay a million miles from because I suck at action games.

Granted, I discovered a few years ago when I tried out Bioshock that many action games include difficulty setting options easy enough for me to make it through without real frustration. But many games don't or their "easy" mode isn't easy enough for me.

I hear you!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 27th 2024, 11:45 am