Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

Paeter is Gone! Let's Share What We Appreciate About Him!

Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Paeter is Gone! Let's Share What We Appreciate About Him! Empty Paeter is Gone! Let's Share What We Appreciate About Him!

Post  Nathan James Norman July 28th 2016, 9:56 am

Hey CGCers!
    Paeter is off grid until August 8th!
    Let's create a nice list of things we appreciate about him for his return!
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Paeter is Gone! Let's Share What We Appreciate About Him! Empty Re: Paeter is Gone! Let's Share What We Appreciate About Him!

Post  mikel.withers July 28th 2016, 11:22 am

I love his self-deprecating humor!
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Paeter is Gone! Let's Share What We Appreciate About Him! Empty Re: Paeter is Gone! Let's Share What We Appreciate About Him!

Post  Nathan James Norman July 29th 2016, 2:59 pm

One of the things I appreciate about Paeter...

I preach every week.
    I evaluate sermons with Crosstalk Global.

It is very hard for me to listen to sermons (even my own) with out evaluating them.

With "In Search of Truth" I can turn off my instructor-instincts. It's not a sermon, but Paeter does a great job of correctly understanding a text and showing its contemporary significance.
    I feel ministered to.

And that is no small feat!

You rock Paeter!
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings July 31st 2016, 6:53 pm

Having just listened to Spirit Blade, I have to say one thing I appreciate about Paeter is his creativity as a storyteller and performer. Very multi-talented.
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Post  Nathan James Norman August 2nd 2016, 9:19 am

Another thing I appreciate Paeter is his passion.
    The things he loves, he loves.
    And the things that bug him (nature), bug him.

I think passion alone is not enough, though.
    Passion coupled with a love of truth and a love of people is a refreshing voice in today's world.

"Humble Passion" is a rare and wonderful trait Paeter models for us.
    UKSteve
    UKSteve

Activity : 354
    Geek-Cred : 10

Post  UKSteve August 2nd 2016, 3:34 pm

I think he secretly has a British sense of humour but is living in denial of this fact. That's the only reason I can think of why a self-confessed geek wouldn't be familiar with the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Post  Nathan James Norman August 4th 2016, 8:26 am

UKSteve wrote:I think he secretly has a British sense of humour but is living in denial of this fact. That's the only reason I can think of why a self-confessed geek wouldn't be familiar with the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...

We should also make a concerted effort to get him hooked on Red Dwarf!
    UKSteve
    UKSteve

Post  UKSteve August 4th 2016, 4:20 pm

Nathan James Norman wrote:We should also make a concerted effort to get him hooked on Red Dwarf!

Maybe I should upload all my Red Dwarf reviews to CGC while he's not looking? Wink
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Post  Nathan James Norman August 4th 2016, 6:39 pm

UKSteve wrote:
    Nathan James Norman wrote:We should also make a concerted effort to get him hooked on Red Dwarf!

Maybe I should upload all my Red Dwarf reviews to CGC while he's not looking? Wink

Do it!!!!
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter August 8th 2016, 8:19 pm

Wow you guys. What a blessing and encouragement to come back to.
    My time working off-grid was much needed (and I'm still taking 3 days of actual vacation later this week), but I've missed you guys and this community. Thanks so much for the warm welcome back.

Something I've noticed that's common to many creative types (myself included) is a tendency to give more weight to feedback simply because it is negative feedback. We can read through a hundred comments that say "good job!" about something we did, but the single solitary "that wasn't great" comment is the one that haunts us and makes us wonder "should I even bother?" That disproportionate view of feedback (and the discouragement that comes with it) is the result of weakness in my own character, but recognizing that flaw in myself makes me no less susceptible to it. It's just a sucky reality I've only grown away from by inches over many years.

So I want to thank you guys for your encouragement and validation of my efforts. I hope to partner increasingly with the Holy Spirit and continue to serve you guys for many more years.

Love you all.

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter August 8th 2016, 8:26 pm

Nathan James Norman wrote: the things that bug him (nature), bug him.

Oh man, it was "bugging" me this last week. Two night of camping with my family followed by a college ministry retreat over the weekend. Had nice cabins at the retreat, but tent camping with Holly and the boys...yikes.

I stayed up late one night reading and playing on my Vita while some ugly insect the size of a hummingbird kept flapping, buzzing and crawling around the tent. It was trying to get to my light!!

It managed to get above my head, between the bug screen and the rain fly above it, the shadows playing tricks on my mind and making me wonder "is that inside the screen or outside?"

Eventually I furiously hissed a whispered couple of F-bombs, used flash lights to lure him off the top of the tent, and then shoved in my earplugs and turned off the lights. (So much for that little bit of geekery I tried to squeeze in, right?)

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter August 8th 2016, 8:29 pm

UKSteve wrote:I think he secretly has a British sense of humour but is living in denial of this fact. That's the only reason I can think of why a self-confessed geek wouldn't be familiar with the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...

LOL!

I don't know. I don't think this is true. But maybe what I've been thinking of as "British" humor isn't a representative sample.

Tell you what, you point me to some definitive "british humor" that I can try for free online somewhere (or on amazon prime) and we can give this theory of yours a test drive.

Either way, you're the Brit who gave me the biggest laugh of my day. So thank you for that.

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter August 8th 2016, 8:32 pm

UKSteve wrote:

Your post was great to find as well! Thanks for that! Btw, if you guys call a "Season" a "Series", what do you call what we here in "the colonies" refer to as a "Series"?

www.spiritblade.com
    UKSteve
    UKSteve

Post  UKSteve August 9th 2016, 4:10 am

Paeter wrote:Either way, you're the Brit who gave me the biggest laugh of my day. So thank you for that.

I rest my case.  Razz

Paeter wrote:Tell you what, you point me to some definitive "british humor" that I can try for free online somewhere (or on amazon prime) and we can give this theory of yours a test drive.

British humour is a strange mix of dry wit, sarcasm and self-loathing. And tea. Also quite surreal a lot of the time - Monty Python being one of the benchmarks of British humour.

Not sure what you'll get for free, I can only see what's available this side of the Atlantic, but some things to look for, in no particular order:

• Monty Python. Would be interesting to get your take on The Life of Brian especially (although I think the Holy Grail is better). Or just dip into one of the TV shows for a quick taster.
    • Spaced. Simon Pegg's big break, plenty of geek references and Easter Eggs, and not as surreal as Python.
    • Blackadder. A classic British sitcom.
    • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, obviously! I prefer the radio series, but the novels or TV series might be more widely available. Just not the movie - that's just an example of what happens when Americans try to improve Brit humour...
    • And Red Dwarf of course, which i'll be harping on about on the CGC blog Smile

Oh and if reading words on a kindle is your thing, there's that Ballad of Matthew Somebody ebook some guy was touting a while back...
    UKSteve
    UKSteve

Post  UKSteve August 9th 2016, 4:19 am

Paeter wrote:Btw, if you guys call a "Season" a "Series", what do you call what we here in "the colonies" refer to as a "Series"?

'Series' has mostly been interchangeable between 'one season' and 'all the seasons' - assuming I've understood the American discinction correctly!

The use of 'season' has come into use more recently with the influx of US shows on DVD and streaming services.
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers August 9th 2016, 9:04 am

What about the "IT Crowd"? I know that is on Netflix or APrime.
    Spaced was funny, too.
    UKSteve
    UKSteve

Post  UKSteve August 9th 2016, 9:24 am

The IT Crowd is awesome geek humour. And the introvert in me can totally relate to preferring to email the emergency services rather than phone them to report a fire...
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers August 9th 2016, 11:20 am

Phoning is so much easier, just dial 0118 999 881 999 119 7253 !
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings August 9th 2016, 7:03 pm

Some favourites of mine not already mentioned:

* Keeping Up Appearances (most humour stems from the protagonist coming from a low socio-economic background, but has grown up to be a bit of a snob)
    * Yes Minister / Yes Prime Minister (Favourite joke in this the way Bernard takes metaphor more seriously than intended, and points out the logical inconsistencies. The older I get, the more I believe this show portrays how government really works)
    * Some Mothers Do 'ave 'Em (If you want to go really old school. Frank Spencer can't do anything right, but he has a good heart and so is lovable)
    * The Thin Blue Line (Rowan Atkinson as a police chief)
    * Mister Bean (You either love it or hate it)
    * The Brittas Empire (Another well-meaning character who destroys everything he touches)

Don't know how available any of these will be in America, but there might be some clips on youTube.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter August 9th 2016, 7:57 pm

AdamCollings wrote:
    * Mister Bean (You either love it or hate it)

Mystery solved! I love Mr. Bean!

Although does that count since he never says anything?

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 1st 2024, 7:45 pm