Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

taste in heaven

Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

taste in heaven Empty taste in heaven

Post  Rickster November 28th 2016, 3:02 am

The other day I was having lunch with my sister and I had this Mac and Cheese that had a little spice to it and I commented to my sister that Mom would have loved this and my grandma would have hated it. That got me thinking about if there is spicy food in heaven and what would they think of it. Which got me thinking about how our taste in things is one of the things that makes us unique.
    So I wanted to know what you guys think will there be foods and things in Heaven that we wont care for?
    Or will we like everything and loose that part of our individualism?
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

taste in heaven Empty Re: taste in heaven

Post  mikel.withers November 28th 2016, 9:15 am

That is something I've considered, and here is the best I've come up with:
    It is possible that cravings, and taste speak to a lack that we have in our diet. In so: let's say that I crave saltiness. Well, that could be my body regulating because of my over-sweatiness.
    Or, it could be that I associate snacking with happiness, and because I lack happiness in my life, I seek out salt to trick my body into thinking I"m happy for just a moment. (which of course, starts the addict's loop of lessening rate of return)
    So... IF either of those is the case, then a perfected body, and having true happiness at hand would negate those effects.
    And then, of course, there is the reverse, where I can't stand Cashew Chicken because of that one time I ate it and then got sick...violently sick... and so now I associate the scent and taste with barfing my guts out. -I'd assume that'd be taken care of in Heaven as well.

OR

Maybe in Heaven we'll still love and hate some tastes and smells, but we'll be in a position to not have to deal with the one's we don't like.
    "Here's my spicy mac and cheese, and here is yours without the extra kick...how handy is it that bowls of them grow on this tree, and with labels to boot?"
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy November 28th 2016, 12:31 pm

Interesting thoughts. Right off the top of my head, the only reference I can think of in Scripture to food being in Heaven is the tree of life which bears a new fruit every month.  (BTW, the only reference to time in Heaven.)  I assume this fruit will be wonderful to taste.

A friend hypothesized that eating from that tree may be the mechanism of how our eternal life is sustained;  I thought that was an interesting thought.  Another thought I have is that Heaven will be a city on the new earth, and IIRC we will be caretakers of this new earth, so I can imagine that part of our lifestyle will be caring for the new earth in a fashion similar to Adam and Eve cared for the Garden of Eden.

Chad

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings November 28th 2016, 3:59 pm

I suspect that our heavenly experience will be so far beyond out currently earthly physical frame of reference that we just have no concept of what it will be like.
    The Bible does talk about us having heavenly bodies though, so that leads me to think there will at least be some form of physicality to it.
    There is also the story of Lazarus and the Rich Man (which as far as I'm aware is a fiction story told by Jesus) in which Lazerus was feasting in heaven, so that also suggests there will be eating.

In terms of our individuality, I doubt we will lose that. God created humans to each be unique. That is something special about us. I imagine God would want to continue to celebrate that individuality.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter November 30th 2016, 2:36 pm

Interesting topic!

In addition to what's already been mentioned, Jesus ate in his resurrection body, which is indicative of the bodies we will have. He also mentioned drinking wine in the future kingdom (Matthew 26:29). So I absolutely believe we'll have bodies that eat and drink.

As far as wild speculation?

Our dislike of some flavors may be related to survival in some way. There are exceptions. Things that taste bad that are good for us and the reverse. But that could also be a dysfunction of the fall. It could be that in our perfected bodies, all things good for eating will taste incredible and things not good for eating will taste bland. Resurrection bodies are so interesting to think about, because so much of how bodies function now are about clawing at survival, where in eternity that either won't be necessary, since we'll be sustained by God, or our bodies will be flawlessly suited to survival.

All kinds of places you could go with this!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 2nd 2024, 4:07 pm