Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

Geeky Christmas Movies/Shows/Games

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Geeky Christmas Movies/Shows/Games Empty Geeky Christmas Movies/Shows/Games

Post  Paeter December 13th 2016, 10:24 am

I thought this topic had been covered here last year, but I couldn't find it in the archives for either of the last two years, so I'm starting up again here!

I'm interested in a collected pool of suggestions we can all look at for geeky Christmas movie/TV/game options. I've got my annual bake-a-thon day coming this Saturday, and with our Kitchen overseeing our TV room I like to watch geeky Christmas movies all day while I bake.

The category can be super broad and only requires that the movie/ep in question have some artifact of Christmas in the setting. Even a Christmas tree briefly in the background of one scene that no one mentions qualifies it as a "Christmas" movie/ep/game. (Although if the reference is that obscure it would be cool to make a note of it when the title is listed.)

Here's my default list as an example and to get the ball rolling. Please add your own or tell me what I forgot!

MOVIES
    Batman Returns
    Prometheus (brief appearance of tree and mention that "it's Christmas")
    Iron Man 3
    Hook (family visits England during Christmas season)
    Pretty Much ANY Harry Potter movie (Christmas sometimes even briefly factors into the plot)
    Watchmen (A christmas scene is briefly in a Dr. Manhattan flashback)
    Hellboy 2: The Golden Army (The opening scene is a christmas time flashback)
    The Nightmare Before Christmas
    Scrooged

TV EPS
    Farscape, "Terra Firma"
    Justice League Animated Series, "Comfort And Joy"
    Batman Animated Series, "Christmas With The Joker" & "Holiday Knights"

GAMES
    Parasite Eve (A Christmas/New Year backdrop for the story)
    Resogun (with free downloadable "Santa's Sleigh" ship and seasonal "santa humans")
    DC Universe Online (Larfleeze Seasonal Missions)
    Saints Row 4 "How The Saints Save Christmas" DLC
    Fallout 4 (Visit Diamond City on Dec. 25th In Game or build X-mas trees at settlements)
    Neverwinter Nights (User made Christmas Mods- https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/christmas &
    https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/christmas-bloodletting )

www.spiritblade.com
    UKSteve
    UKSteve

Activity : 354
    Geek-Cred : 10

Geeky Christmas Movies/Shows/Games Empty Re: Geeky Christmas Movies/Shows/Games

Post  UKSteve December 13th 2016, 12:08 pm

All the Doctor Who Christmas specials, obviously!
    And the Warehouse 13 Christmas specials.

And Gremlins, how did you miss Gremlins?
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings December 13th 2016, 10:29 pm

Let's see

Smallville did a Christmas episode
    http://smallville.wikia.com/wiki/Lexmas

Star Trek Generations features a Christmas scene in the nexus.

The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
    (nothing more needs saying)

Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster December 13th 2016, 11:05 pm

Bless the Child started out at Christmas
    Quantum Leap did a episode inspired by Christmas Carol
    I seem to remember and episode of The Real Ghost Busters (animated series) where they saved Scrooge from the Ghost
    Arkham Origins takes place on Christmas Eve
    Many of the Kingdom Hearts games have you visit The Nightmare Before Christmas world but only Kingdom Hearts II has you visit Christmas Town (the final mix version even includes your costume and music to change to match the world)
    UKSteve
    UKSteve

Activity : 354
    Geek-Cred : 10

Post  UKSteve December 14th 2016, 4:19 am

Rickster wrote:
    I seem to remember and episode of The Real Ghost Busters (animated series) where they saved Scrooge from the Ghost

That reminds me, wasn't Ghostbusters II set around December? I know the 'busters are wearing Santa hats at some point in the ghost busting montage, and everyone sings Auld Lang Syne at the end, so it counts anyway santa
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike December 14th 2016, 10:16 am

Question: How do you make a list like this without Die Hard?
    Answer: You don't.

What's New Scooby-Doo?: Merry Scary Holiday

Swiss Family Robinson
    Tinker Bell: Secret of the Wings
    Jingle All the Way

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 29th 2021, 1:58 pm

Updating my list this year! Feel free to chime in with more if you've thought of any!

MOVIE: Shazam (Takes Place during Christmas Season)

VIDEO GAME: Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Takes Place during Christmas Season)

Monster Hunter World (There are seasonal events that let you unlock Christmas/wintery gear, and options to choose christmasy colors. And the "Iceborne" expansion has great snowy climates to seal the deal.)

DC Universe Online (Free to play with a pretty good single player/free experience, and always changes the world and adds Christmasy decorations and missions)

Ghost Recon Breakpoint (Okay, this is a stretch, but i discovered last year you can customize hair color, wear a red & green plaid shirt and change other clothing colors to the point wear I can make my avatar look like a highly trained and very dangerous Mrs. Claus.)

Also, comic book access through digital subscriptions is more common and affordable than ever. So if you know of a good Christmas story from the comics, list it here if you like!

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster January 19th 2022, 3:30 pm

Currently playing Saturday Morning RPG and "Episode" 4 is a special Christmas episode
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter January 19th 2022, 7:46 pm

Rickster wrote:Currently playing Saturday Morning RPG and "Episode" 4 is a special Christmas episode

Cool! Thanks!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter July 29th 2022, 5:42 pm

UPDATE! Watched Green Hornet with my son today and there's a Christmas tree on a desk in one scene at the newspaper!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter December 16th 2022, 11:48 pm

UPDATE: During my bake-a-thon tomorrow I plan to include "Young Justice" Season 1 Ep. 23, "Insecurity", which takes place in early December and reportedly has a Christmas Tree in one scene.

Also planning to watch FX/Hulu's "A Christmas Carol", a roughly 3-hr premium miniseries from 2019 starring Guy Pearce as Scrooge and apparently creating a Gothic Horror/Fantasy take on the classic tale. No idea if its good, but definitely have to try it out!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter December 16th 2022, 11:52 pm

And somehow I forgot to add "Suicide Squad" (original) to this list! Deadshot's flashback takes place during Christmas.

Oh! And of course the Guardians Of The Galaxy Holiday Special now belongs here.

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter December 26th 2022, 2:14 pm

Watching "Kindred" now on Hulu and the time travel portions take place during the Christmas season in the past!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter January 1st 2023, 7:15 pm

Final additions this year:

A Christmas Story Christmas (grown up Ralphie is an aspiring sci-fi author).
    Wonder Woman 1984 (epilogue scene takes place during Christmas)
    FX's "A Christmas Carol" (starring Guy Ritchie, with a dark, gothic supernatural take on the classic tale)

And just BARELY qualifying in my mind... Bioshock. (I bought the collection on sale last night and played the opening hour again.) In the ruins of Rapture you quickly discover that everything went to crap on New Year's Eve 1959. In the Frandsen Household, New Year's is basically the closing ceremonies for Christmas, so I'm saying it fits.

Happy New Year, everybody!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 7th 2024, 5:44 pm