Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Netflix brings to your attention...

mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Netflix brings to your attention... Empty Netflix brings to your attention...

Post  mikel.withers March 28th 2017, 8:18 am

I finished watching Marvel's Iron Fist! the other day, and thought it was passable... maybe even a good set-up for a Defender's character. It is no Daredevil Season 2, but not a lot is.

Anyway, with nothing left to watch while I played SWTOR, I took one of the recommendations that came up: Cleverman. Cleverman is an Australian tv show which plays off the ...shall we say "chequered" racial past of Australia. The acting is pretty good, most of the visual effects are good (apart from some cgi late in the season...series for you Brit speakers out there), and the story is borderline compelling.
    Definitely worth a step outside of American tv exceptionalism.

Speaking of exceptionalism, who is more exceptional than a superhero who can defeat any opponent with only one punch? Yes, that is right: One Punch Man is now on Netflix. Japanese with English subtitles, its simplistic send-up of anime heroes is a real kick. Plus, if I ever cosplay, I think I could pull this one off.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Netflix brings to your attention... Empty Re: Netflix brings to your attention...

Post  Paeter March 28th 2017, 9:06 am

mikel.withers wrote:

Speaking of exceptionalism, who is more exceptional than a superhero who can defeat any opponent with only one punch? Yes, that is right: One Punch Man is now on Netflix. Japanese with English subtitles, its simplistic send-up of anime heroes is a real kick.

Is this a parody? How do you keep any tension in the story if he can beat anyone with one punch?

www.spiritblade.com
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Netflix brings to your attention... Empty Re: Netflix brings to your attention...

Post  mikel.withers March 28th 2017, 10:03 am

That is what gives tension. He looks for a challenge, but finds none.
    It is a parody of anime, especially Dragon Ball Z and the like. It has that quality that I so adore: the ludicrous, but it most definitely does not take itself seriously.
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1095
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  jorowi March 28th 2017, 1:43 pm

Iron Fist should have only been about 6 episodes. If the story had been tightened up and the action sequences choreographed better it could have been better than Luke Cage which was also too long but had great acting. Much of the acting in Iron Fist was passable to bad. I thought I was watching a SyFy original movie at times.

Twitter
    Instagram
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers March 28th 2017, 3:30 pm

Director- "Your name is Danny Rand, and you have a wicked headache, so scrunch up your face and look away from the light..."
    Danny- "Like this?"
    Director- "Perfect, just keep that look for thirteen episodes, and we're golden."

Almost as bad as the main woman from Fringe.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings March 28th 2017, 6:07 pm

mikel.withers wrote:I took one of the recommendations that came up: Cleverman. Cleverman is an Australian tv show which plays off the ...shall we say "chequered" racial past of Australia. The acting is pretty good, most of the visual effects are good (apart from some cgi late in the season...series for you Brit speakers out there), and the story is borderline compelling.
    Definitely worth a step outside of American tv exceptionalism.

I remember seeing the trailers for Cleverman, though I missed seeing it, since I rarely tune in broadcast TV. I'll have to see if it shows up on Australian Netflix. I suspect ABC (our equivalent of BBC) is probably holding onto the rights.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 7th 2024, 5:31 pm