Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Pair of Scary Movie Questions

Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

Pair of Scary Movie Questions Empty Pair of Scary Movie Questions

Post  Reed Benson October 30th 2017, 7:29 pm

Okay, these will be my last movie questions for Halloween (since it's Halloween Day right now in China).

1. What movie has scared and/or disturbed you most recently?

While my wife was away on a work trip earlier this year, I watched Lights Out. Even though I watched it during the day, I still slept with the lights on that night. And I'm 34.

2. What movie scared you even though it wasn't meant to be scary?

When I was a kid, I turned to MTV or VH1 one time and caught the end of Pink Floyd's The Wall (during the animated trial scene) without having any idea what it was. That creeped me out for I don't know how long.

As an honorable mention (because it probably was supposed to be scary), I once turned on the Simpson's "Treehouse of Horror" episode that was a parody of The Amityville Horror while I was at my great grandma's. I was probably in 1st grade or something. When the walls started bleeding and the house was talking to them in that deep voice, I had to turn it off. But if I'd waited a few more seconds, I would've seen Marge yell back at the house and shout it down.

Happy Reformatio...I mean, Halloween!
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Pair of Scary Movie Questions Empty Re: Pair of Scary Movie Questions

Post  Paeter October 31st 2017, 8:59 am

Man these are tough! I can't remember the last time I was scared or disturbed by a movie. I guess "It" had a few moments. But it's been a long time since a movie really got inside my head.

As for #2, the closest thing I can think of is The Notebook. I don't know if it scared me in the traditional sense, but I was so sad after watching that movie, with some anxiety mixed in, thinking about the fact that, for all I know, my wife or I could develop some form of severe memory loss in our later years, putting such a huge burden on the other.

That's why there are now some dramas that I know won't be good for me to watch, even though I can take bloody gore-monsters 8 days a week.

www.spiritblade.com
    Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Post  Reed Benson October 31st 2017, 5:46 pm

Paeter wrote:Man these are tough! I can't remember the last time I was scared or disturbed by a movie. I guess "It" had a few moments. But it's been a long time since a movie really got inside my head.

You only get scared if you're playing a game and live-streaming it, right?

Paeter wrote:As for #2, the closest thing I can think of is The Notebook. I don't know if it scared me in the traditional sense, but I was so sad after watching that movie, with some anxiety mixed in, thinking about the fact that, for all I know, my wife or I could develop some form of severe memory loss in our later years, putting such a huge burden on the other.

That's why there are now some dramas that I know won't be good for me to watch, even though I can take bloody gore-monsters 8 days a week.

That's interesting. My wife had a similar feeling after watching Still Alice.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 1st 2017, 8:24 am

Reed Benson wrote:
    You only get scared if you're playing a game and live-streaming it, right?

Well, I only yell out loud at jump scares when streaming or recording gameplay. (It's those stinking headphones that bring it all WAAAY too close to me.) But games can still get me when I'm just playing for fun and using speakers. That said, I almost never play scary games "for fun".

www.spiritblade.com
    ProtectTheAlphaWolf
    ProtectTheAlphaWolf

Activity : 16
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  ProtectTheAlphaWolf November 1st 2017, 9:58 am

Heheh....that's a good question, and one I can definitely answer.

Probably the scariest movie I've watched recently was the infamous The Ring. While I know a lot of people hate on that one for being overrated and cliché, it really blew me away on how much adrenaline I had at the end of the night. Great movie, aside from the one scene inside the well where a bit of...immodesty happens. (Think the classic Spider-Man kiss scene from the Toby Maguire series.) But yeah, I remember being so pumped at around 2:30 in the morning and just laughing about how much fun I was having XD

As for non-horror movies that really freaked me out, I literally lost it during Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2. Even though I had watched several horror movies before viewing it and had read wayyyy too many disturbing stories on the internet (enough for a lifetime, lol) I completely flipped out when the werewolf was caught eating the kid. I just felt really sick and had to turn it off, half-way through the movie. (Come to think of it, the scene where SPOILER: they torture Hermione SPOILER OVER really freaked me out as well.

Granted, I was fifteen when I watched it, and hadn't seen anything rated higher than PG-13 (heck, I hadn't even seen an Indiana Jones movie) but I'm not sure you could convince me easily to sit through that one again, heh.

Close runner-up to that one would be Mockingjay: Part 2, which I went to in the theaters with my dad in a theater that had really high-tech surround sound. While I loved every bit of it, I kind of remember curling up into a ball and leaning back in my chair as far as it could go to get away from the "muttations" screaming in my ears.  Laughing

(Ironic as I've seen way worse elsewhere, and love reading horror stories and watching scary films in my spare time. Razz)
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 2nd 2017, 12:34 pm

ProtectTheAlphaWolf wrote:
    Probably the scariest movie I've watched recently was the infamous The Ring.

(Late at night in bed after watching The Ring. Paeter's wife Holly is sleeping. He is not.)

Paeter: Holly?

Holly:mhrh...

Paeter:(long pause) Holly?

Holly:Nmn... what...

Paeter: ... I'm scared of that girl with the long hair...

Holly: My baby... you're okay. She's not real, go to sleep...

www.spiritblade.com
    Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Post  Reed Benson November 3rd 2017, 12:40 am

This is interesting. For the second question, I was expecting more people to list films that scared them when they were, like, five years old.

I just remembered a non-scary movie that scared me more than The Wall did. I don't remember how old I was, but I was at either my grandparents' or my aunt and uncle's apartment in Iowa when someone was watching Superman III. I came into the room when the one lady was knocked into the machine that turned her into a robot. I don't think I even knew it was a Superman movie. I just remember that the idea of a person being taken over by some outside force that would control them against their will terrified me.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 3rd 2017, 11:30 am

Reed Benson wrote:This is interesting. For the second question, I was expecting more people to list films that scared them when they were, like, five years old.

I just remembered a non-scary movie that scared me more than The Wall did. I don't remember how old I was, but I was at either my grandparents' or my aunt and uncle's apartment in Iowa when someone was watching Superman III. I came into the room when the one lady was knocked into the machine that turned her into a robot. I don't think I even knew it was a Superman movie. I just remember that the idea of a person being taken over by some outside force that would control them against their will terrified me.

Oh my gosh I used to watch that part over and over again! I STILL think it looks great! (Give me reverse photography over CG any day!) It was so freaky/mesmerizing as a kid. One of the most memorable moments in all of cinema for me.

Okay, just put the box set on my desk. I'm busting that out later today.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 20th 2024, 10:18 am