Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

Most Anticipated Geek Entertainment of 2018

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Most Anticipated Geek Entertainment of 2018 Empty Most Anticipated Geek Entertainment of 2018

Post  Paeter January 9th 2018, 9:37 am

After scanning ahead a little I came up with-

Books: Brent Week's 5th (final?) Lightbringer Series book, which will finally trigger my reading of that entire series starting with book 1. Been waiting so long!

Movies: The Predator, The Incredibles 2, X-Men: Dark Phoenix, Aquaman, Mary Poppins Returns (I like Emily Blunt and am SUPER curious based on synopsis!), Justice League Zack Snyder Cut On Blu-Ray (I can dream, can't I?)

Video Games: Far Cry 5, Conan: Exiles, Path Of Exile on PS4 (another dream), Spider-man PS4, The Crew 2, God Of War, System Shock Remake, Vampyr,

Despite the length of my lists, this doesn't look like it will be a year to compare with the anticipation I had for the releases of 2017. So the final item I'd add is "surprises", as I really enjoy those somewhat smaller movies and games that don't get the buzz but that I sometimes end up discovering and enjoying in my little quiet corner of geekery.

What's on YOUR list for 2018?

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Most Anticipated Geek Entertainment of 2018 Empty Re: Most Anticipated Geek Entertainment of 2018

Post  Rickster January 10th 2018, 1:38 am

Kingdom Hearts 3, God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Spider-Man for the PS4, Kingdom Hearts 3, Avengers Infinity war, Kingdom Hearts 3, Solo (ok cautious but excited), Kingdom Hearts 3
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Most Anticipated Geek Entertainment of 2018 Empty Re: Most Anticipated Geek Entertainment of 2018

Post  Paeter January 10th 2018, 10:00 am

Rickster wrote:Kingdom Hearts 3, God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Spider-Man for the PS4, Kingdom Hearts 3, Avengers Infinity war, Kingdom Hearts 3, Solo (ok cautious but excited), Kingdom Hearts 3

Is there a release window for Kingdom Hearts 3 yet?

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Post  Rickster January 10th 2018, 4:53 pm

Paeter wrote:
    Rickster wrote:Kingdom Hearts 3, God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Spider-Man for the PS4, Kingdom Hearts 3, Avengers Infinity war, Kingdom Hearts 3, Solo (ok cautious but excited), Kingdom Hearts 3

Is there a release window for Kingdom Hearts 3 yet?

As of right now its just 2018. the Disney Con D23 is having a event at Japan next month and there's going to be a Kingdom Hearts fan event so hopefully that window will get smaller there
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings January 10th 2018, 5:36 pm

Hmm. Not really anticipating a lot this year, or maybe I just haven't thought much about it.

• Justice League Extended Cut would certainly be nice. Related to that, this is pretty thin evidence, but maybe it will be possible (dccomicsmovie.com/justice-league-extended-cut-release-may-actually-be-happening/
    • I am looking forward to Infinity War. Saw Spiderman Homecoming recently (got it for Christmas) and liked it a lot more than I thought. I'll need to catch up with Thor: Ragnarok and Guardians of The Galaxy 2 before Infinity War hits. Neither of those have been high on my priority list, but gotta see it all in order.
    • The exciting book release I was anticipating has just happened, but there's somes that'll probably hit this year that I'm looking forward to.
    • I don't really anticipate anything in the gaming space anymore, since I'm no longer on a current generation console.

Most of my anticipation this year is not so much on entertainment I'll consume, but on things I hope to create.
    That's not a bad place to be.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings January 10th 2018, 5:41 pm

Oh. I forgot. I'm looking forward to Black Panther. Trailers look pretty cool.

and I am hesitantly still hoping Aquaman will be cool, and have some depth to it like the DC movies I loved.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter January 11th 2018, 9:54 am

AdamCollings wrote:
    [list]
    [*] Justice League Extended Cut would certainly be nice. Related to that, this is pretty thin evidence, but maybe it will be possible (dccomicsmovie.com/justice-league-extended-cut-release-may-actually-be-happening/

Hmm. I'm still dreaming here. But I want to believe it's possible that, when the undoubtedly frustrating word came down to Whedon that he'd have to deliver a 2-hour release, he submitted but immediately began internally campaigning for an extended home video release. I think that mandate also came pretty late. So an extended cut (or should we call it an "intended cut"?) might largely have been in a fairly finished state at the time of theatrical release. In that case, I can imagine hearing about an extended cut coming this soon. The poop lining on that silver cloud is that this would of course be just an extended Joss Whedon cut. Same musical score, same reshoot scenes. Not something closer to a "Zack Snyder Cut", which I think the most vocal fans really want right now. A Zack Snyder cut would probably require numerous fans who continue to be vocal long after the release of an extended Whedon cut. Maybe similar to the Richard Donner Cut release for Superman 2, though hopefully not taking that long.

Soooo... maybe we can't rightly put this on a list of anticipated 2018 entertainment, but we can put "the continuing saga of fan outcry for a Snyder Cut" as a story in 2018 that we'll keep watching with anticipation!

www.spiritblade.com
    Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  Reed Benson January 11th 2018, 9:34 pm

All the books I'm looking forward to have already been released. I hope to get to the Night Angel trilogy sometime this year, and maybe get back into the Valiant comics I was reading on Comics Plus.

Video games don't factor into my life these days. Maybe i'll watch a Let's Play of the Spider-Man game or some wrestling games y'all don't care about.

So that leaves movies and maybe some TV...

Highly anticipating: The Death of Superman animated film, The New Mutants, whatever Justice League extended cut is coming, Ninjak vs. The Valiant Universe (if it ever gets released), Black Panther.

Interested in: Venom, Avengers: Infinity War, Hellboy, Daredevil Season 3

Curious about but don't have much info on: God Particle (Cloverfield sequel), Judge Dredd: Mega-City One, Invincible, Deadpool: The Animated Series, Locke and Key (hated the art in the comic, but the story intrigues me), Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors, Sam and Twitch, Watchmen
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings January 11th 2018, 10:12 pm

Reed Benson wrote:Curious about but don't have much info on: God Particle (Cloverfield sequel)

Ooh. Must learn more. I really liked Cloverfield (it was the first "found footage" movie I'd ever experienced so it kinda blew me away as a new unique form of story telling)
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter January 12th 2018, 9:02 am

Reed Benson wrote:

Highly anticipating: The Death of Superman animated film,

Interested in: Hellboy,

Curious about but don't have much info on: Judge Dredd: Mega-City One, Watchmen

Are some of these just coming to China for the first time? I own The Death Of Superman animated movie and Watchmen. Is a Hellboy reboot releasing this year? And a new Judge Dredd movie this year?? Haven't heard about it, but that would rock!

www.spiritblade.com
    Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Post  Reed Benson January 13th 2018, 8:16 pm

Paeter wrote:
    Reed Benson wrote:

Highly anticipating: The Death of Superman animated film,

Interested in: Hellboy,

Curious about but don't have much info on: Judge Dredd: Mega-City One, Watchmen

Are some of these just coming to China for the first time? I own The Death Of Superman animated movie and Watchmen. Is a Hellboy reboot releasing this year? And a new Judge Dredd movie this year?? Haven't heard about it, but that would rock!

Okay, my bad, I misread the website I got these from (https://www.cbr.com/upcoming-comic-book-shows-movies/). There is a Hellboy reboot, but that's not until next year. There is a Watchmen TV series in development, but that's still in the early stages. Judge Dredd: Mega-City One is a TV series also in development with no set release date. So the only one of the above that's actually set for 2018 is Death of Superman.

You're probably thinking of the Superman: Doomsday animated movie. They're making a new Death of Superman one, coming out sometime this year. It will be followed by a Reign of the Supermen sequel next year, much like they did with the two-part Dark Knight Returns mvoies. I didn't really like Superman: Doomsday, so I'm really hoping for a better adaptation this time around.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter January 16th 2018, 12:40 pm

Reed Benson wrote:

You're probably thinking of the Superman: Doomsday animated movie. They're making a new Death of Superman one, coming out sometime this year. It will be followed by a Reign of the Supermen sequel next year, much like they did with the two-part Dark Knight Returns mvoies. I didn't really like Superman: Doomsday, so I'm really hoping for a better adaptation this time around.

Oh my gosh, that's so cool! YES! A PROPER adaptation of that story would be so much better. And then a follow up adapting the stories of his absence and return! Holy crap! Maybe skip the mullet this time, but holy crap that could be cool! Thanks for the info!

www.spiritblade.com
    Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Post  Reed Benson January 16th 2018, 11:45 pm

I heard about first it on the Strangers and Aliens Podcast, but here's a verifiable source:

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/07/21/the-death-and-return-of-superman-gets-a-two-part-animated-movie

Rounding out the 2018 releases will be Death of Superman, the first part of the two-parter. Adapting the legendary story of Superman’s fatal battle with Doomsday, this will actually be the second DC Universe Original Movie to adapt the material. The first, 2007’s Superman: Doomsday, was the very first DC Universe Original Movie and greatly condensed and altered the original comic book event to fit within its 75-minute running time. The upcoming adaptation will be more faithful to the source material, much less condensed and will include many of the fan-favorite moments from the story that were left out of Doomsday.

Finally, in early 2019, look for Reign of the Supermen, the second part of the two-part adaptation. While we’ll have to wait for an official synopsis to learn all of the details, that name should be a familiar one to Superman fans and suggests we’ll be seeing the rise of the Superman alternates that took his place during the year after his death. (For those unfamiliar with the story, they were Steel, Cyborg Superman, Superboy and the Last Son of Krypton.) This part of the Death and Return of Superman was greatly simplified in Doomsday, which instead featured a single alternate Superman rather than the four we saw in the comics.
    UKSteve
    UKSteve

Activity : 354
    Geek-Cred : 10

Post  UKSteve January 17th 2018, 10:59 am

Only one thing on my radar at the moment: Ready Player One.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter January 18th 2018, 10:17 am

UKSteve wrote:Only one thing on my radar at the moment: Ready Player One.

Yeah, I'm super curious! Don't think I ever would have gotten around to the book, but this looks like it could be great!

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Post  Rickster March 15th 2018, 2:01 pm

Just had to add another one Shadow of the Tomb Raider was just officially announced
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 16th 2018, 9:44 am

Rickster wrote:Just had to add another one Shadow of the Tomb Raider was just officially announced

Oh, that's right! Makes sense to time that announcement with the movie release!

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Post  Rickster March 16th 2018, 6:23 pm

Paeter wrote:
    Rickster wrote:Just had to add another one Shadow of the Tomb Raider was just officially announced

Oh, that's right! Makes sense to time that announcement with the movie release!

Yeah especially since the little tease they released said wait for the full reveal on April 27th seems like they weren't planning on announcing it this soon.
    Also I'm going to add the Spyro Trilogy remake that is rumored to be announced sometime this month.

Seriously God of War Kingdom Hearts Tomb Raider and (most likely) Spyro four of my favorite game series coming out in a single year

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 27th 2024, 12:08 pm