Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Suicide Squad: hell to Pay animated movie trailer

Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

Suicide Squad: hell to Pay animated movie trailer Empty Suicide Squad: hell to Pay animated movie trailer

Post  Reed Benson February 13th 2018, 10:25 pm

I believe this is the first Suicide Squad movie to fit in the DC animated cinematic universe they've been doing. Assault on Arkham was actually part of the Arkham video game universe. I didn't like that one very much; unlike with the Suicide Squad live-action movie, I couldn't sympathize with any of the characters (except Batman). Hopefully this one can fix that aspect.

Looks like this version of the squad is Deadshot, Harley Quinn, Captain Boomerang, Copperhead, Killer Frost, and Bronze Tiger. There's also a skinny Amanda Waller, and the bad guy is Vandal Savage. And I see a girl in one shot with Wolverine-like claws that pop out. It's straight-up rated R this time.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Suicide Squad: hell to Pay animated movie trailer Empty Re: Suicide Squad: hell to Pay animated movie trailer

Post  Paeter February 14th 2018, 10:21 am

Hey, just what I was asking for in my comments about Batman Ninja!

I'm interested!

Don't prefer a skinny Waller, and "Brief Graphic Nudity" in the content description?? What??!! Come on, DC.

The wolverine girl is Savage's daughter, I think. (Trying to remember from comics.)

And yes! I'd love something more character-oriented, too! Time will tell!

Thanks for posting this!

www.spiritblade.com
    Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

Suicide Squad: hell to Pay animated movie trailer Empty Re: Suicide Squad: hell to Pay animated movie trailer

Post  Reed Benson February 14th 2018, 8:23 pm

Paeter wrote:Hey, just what I was asking for in my comments about Batman Ninja!

I'm interested!

Don't prefer a skinny Waller, and "Brief Graphic Nudity" in the content description?? What??!! Come on, DC.

The wolverine girl is Savage's daughter, I think. (Trying to remember from comics.)

And yes! I'd love something more character-oriented, too! Time will tell!

Thanks for posting this!

Ew. Missed the part about nudity. I hope it's super brief. Maybe it'll be edited out of the version that makes it onto Chinese streaming services.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter February 15th 2018, 10:27 am

Reed Benson wrote:

Ew. Missed the part about nudity. I hope it's super brief. Maybe it'll be edited out of the version that makes it onto Chinese streaming services.

It's possible it could be a crime scene with a naked dead body. But in this age of Spartacus, Game Of Thrones, Westworld and now Altered Carbon, I wouldn't be surprised if they're just getting on the bandwagon. Who knows? Maybe IMDB will have some info closer to the release date.

www.spiritblade.com
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 834
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  AGoodReed August 1st 2019, 2:07 pm

I have seen the movie!

After digesting it some, I think I like it overall, but I'll give a lot of caveats first:

1. It is super gory. I don't think any of the DC animated movies have been this gruesome in terms of blood, bodily dismemberment, gaping wounds, and exploding heads. The Death of Superman and Justice League: Gods and Monsters had their fair share of blood, but nothing like this.

2. There is blatant female nudity in one scene, including quick flashes of nipples and a longer shot of the lower body. There are also two scenes in strip clubs - one female and one male - though I don't think there's any full nudity in either of them.

3. They aren't too shy with the profanity. A lot of the DC animated movies seem to throw a couple "s" words, "a" words, and/or "d" words just because they can, but this one makes sure to get several throughout from multiple characters. It's not Tarantino level, but it's surely the high mark for this series.

4. Vandal Savage's daughter, Scandal, is in a lesbian relationship with Knockout (the object of the nude scene). They kiss at one point.

If most of the DC animated movies are PG-13, this one's definitely a hard R.

Okay, now the reasons I generally liked it:

1. There's a heavy spiritual element due to the MacGuffin that drives the story. Basically, Amanda Waller, Vandal Savage, and another character I won't spoil each want this certain spiritual item, so their respective crews are fighting for it. Also, during a conversation amongst the Squad, Bronze Tiger says that everyone's done bad things and is completely reliant on the grace of God to get to heaven.
    (Harley Quinn says she knows she's going to heaven because anyone who had to put up with "Mistah J" deserves a break.)

2. I was able to sympathize with a few characters this time (unlike in Assault on Arkham). Bronze Tiger and Deadshot are the most compelling to me. They're both tortured by their respective pasts to a degree, and Deadshot wants to reconcile with his estranged daughter. Harley Quinn and Copperhead aren't that objectionable to me. Captain Boomerang is sort of off and on as far as likability, and Killer Frost is kind of a sociopath. So there was a good dynamic this time, unlike in AoA where I disliked everyone.

3. This one's part of the same continuity as the other New 52-based movies that have come since The Flashpoint Paradox and Justice League: War. In fact, there's an element from Flashpoint Paradox that plays a big part in this one, so you might want to watch that one first.

So if you like this series of movies and you think you have the stomach and strength of will to deal with the objectionable elements, I think the plot and characters make this one worth a watch.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter August 2nd 2019, 12:12 pm

Forgot all about this one! Thanks for the review and for putting it back on my radar!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 12:31 pm