Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Your Favorite "Halfway Point" Movies

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Your Favorite "Halfway Point" Movies Empty Your Favorite "Halfway Point" Movies

Post  Paeter January 28th 2019, 7:56 pm

My in-laws will be in town in February and I always try to carve out time to watch movies with my Father in law when he comes out, since it's one of his favorite activities(especially sci-fi and/or action movies). But he's most comfortable with movies in the PG-13 zone, so I try to make an effort to "save up" some of those I'm interested in watching if a visit of theirs is just a few weeks away.

Not sure what movies I'll set aside for that time yet(may have to resort to non-geek action movies at redbox), and I'm not looking for suggestions. But this DID make me wonder about what YOU guys watch with someone when you need to "meet them halfway" because their tastes are different from yours (whether in terms of content or just plain geekiness).

Any go-to movies when you want to share some geeky enjoyment without weirding people out or otherwise turning them off?

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1095
    Geek-Cred : 7

Your Favorite "Halfway Point" Movies Empty Re: Your Favorite "Halfway Point" Movies

Post  jorowi January 29th 2019, 5:31 pm

When my wife and I were newly married I introduced her to Jackie Chan's movies. Action, comedy, & very little profanity. It was something we could go to when we both wanted to watch a movie together. Our tastes have changed so we now have more overlap and this isn't as big a problem as it used to be.

Twitter
    Instagram
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Your Favorite "Halfway Point" Movies Empty Re: Your Favorite "Halfway Point" Movies

Post  AdamCollings January 30th 2019, 5:55 pm

jorowi wrote:Our tastes have changed so we now have more overlap and this isn't as big a problem as it used to be.

I think this tends to happen as your marriage matures. You become more alike in your interests and tastes. My wife sometimes jokes about how I turned her into a big nerd. (admittedly she already had interest in some geeky things before me).

In fact, I remember when we first got together, our half-way thing was "Lois & Clark - The New Adventures of Superman." She'd been a tennage girl when that show came out, and all the teenage girls like the show for Dean Cain. I'd been a long-time superman fan so it was our connection point.
    I made her watch lots of DS9, Voyager and Babylon 5, though, which she was okay with, because she'd watched TNG with her dad.
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 835
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  AGoodReed January 30th 2019, 7:48 pm

Wonder Woman was the bridge for my wife and me. She tolerated all the superhero movies I brought her to before, but she loved Wonder Woman. I think it was the fact that the main hero was female; before that, the only lady superheroes she'd been able to see were Black Widow and Scarlet Witch, and they were definitely not the focal points of their movies.

We also both enjoy most of the animated Disney movies.That'll probably change if we ever get to see The Black Cauldron, because I doubt she'll like that one.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 1st 2024, 4:25 pm