Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles Streaming Free

AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 835
    Geek-Cred : 4

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles Streaming Free Empty Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles Streaming Free

Post  AGoodReed November 5th 2019, 7:28 am

Just in time for the latest rendition of Terminator 3 (Dark Fate), one of the non-canon attempts at a Terminator 3 is streaming for free on IMDB. It's Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0851851/?ref_=pe_24416200_449485690_fdvTP_eml

I've not watched hardly any of the show. I part of an episode when I went to a friend's house once, but I don't remember anything from it. He really liked the show, so I'm guessing he was bummed when it was canceled.

What I do know about the show is that it has Summer Glau from Firefly in it, as well as the lead singer of the 90's band Garbage. Also,
    Spoiler:
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1759
    Geek-Cred : 11

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles Streaming Free Empty Re: Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles Streaming Free

Post  AdamCollings November 5th 2019, 5:21 pm

So how do you watch it? Went to an episode page. Managed to add it to my "watch list" but can't find anything to click on to actually stream the episode. Probably a geo-blocked feature.
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles Streaming Free Empty Re: Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles Streaming Free

Post  AGoodReed November 5th 2019, 8:04 pm

AdamCollings wrote:So how do you watch it? Went to an episode page. Managed to add it to my "watch list" but can't find anything to click on to actually stream the episode. Probably a geo-blocked feature.

It could be. It's blocked me for using a VPN before. I have to be tricky to get it to work.

When you go to the episode page, it should take a moment or two before a "Watch free on IMDB TV" link pops up under each episode.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter November 6th 2019, 9:36 am

Sweet!

This show was more satisfying than at least one or two of the movies! Such a bummer it was cancelled, but that's on Fox, not on the quality of the show. The cliffhanger sucks, but I still think it's at least worth checking out and possibly even watching all the way through.
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike November 12th 2019, 7:16 pm

At the time, I hated seeing this show end on a cliffhanger like that. And I don't think that's too much of a spoiler this many years later.

From my perspective now, I think the cliffhanger works as a perfect resolution for the show. It's a nihilistic horror-story ending that reinforces the encroaching terror of Judgement Day and the inevitability of Skynet and the Terminators. Easily one of my favorite shows of all time.
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike November 12th 2019, 7:58 pm

Near the end of the series.... and this is spoiler free....

Catherine Weaver is speaking to one of the heroes, I forget who, and makes the comment that "her John Henry" is more than just a program. That the metal and wiring and chassis are as much a part of who he is as his personality. I don't remember specifically if she says that transplanting the chip will not recreate John Henry, but I seem to recall that is the case.

This struck me at the time as an argument for the personhood of the machine, as one of the definable characteristics of the machine as an antagonist is that it lacks individuality. As anyone in IT can tell you, the more complex a machine gets the less interchangeable the parts become. While I don't believe we have actually reached that kind of manufacturing threshold at any large scale, manufacture of printed circuits at the atomic scale is absolutely subject to these kind of variations.

This piece of the show has stayed with me, stuck in my head. It echoes the marriage of body and soul that is part of humanity's fundamental design and it makes me want to chase the rabbit trail of machine personhood, unlike movies like Tomorrowland.

The other piece of the show that sticks with me is from the season two episode "Goodbye to All That". John and Derek protect a future war hero from a Terminator. At the end of the show, John asks Derek, "What finally happens to him, in the future?" Derek looks at him for a beat and replies, "He dies for you, John." Derek turns to walk away from the camera, "We all die for you."

Chills.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 14th 2019, 8:49 am

mindspike wrote: "He dies for you, John." Derek turns to walk away from the camera, "We all die for you."

Chills.

Oh my gosh, yes! Thanks for reminding me of that! I had the same reaction!

Appreciate your take on the cliffhanger, too. You've motivated me to put this show back on my re-watch list and even try to incorporate it into my crazy "singular continuity head canon" project for the franchise.
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Post  AGoodReed November 14th 2019, 8:10 pm

mindspike wrote:At the time, I hated seeing this show end on a cliffhanger like that. And I don't think that's too much of a spoiler this many years later.

From my perspective now, I think the cliffhanger works as a perfect resolution for the show. It's a nihilistic horror-story ending that reinforces the encroaching terror of Judgement Day and the inevitability of Skynet and the Terminators.

That's always been the source of my love/hate relationship with the Terminator films. On one hand, I want a happy ending. I want the heroes to save humanity and defeat the evil machines. On the other hand, as I realized after watching [SPOILER] recently, a Terminator film ending that wraps everything up nicely doesn't feel genuine.

As much as people disliked Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, it definitely ended in a proper Terminator way, featuring the inevitability of Judgement Day mixed with the still-real hope of John Connor being the ultimate savior of humanity.

I think the only Terminator film that could conceivably end happily and leave me feeling comfortable about it would be one about the resistance defeating the machines for good in the future. Did Terminator Salvation do that? I can't remember that film very well.

SPOILER:
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 15th 2019, 10:03 am

AGoodReed wrote:
    I think the only Terminator film that could conceivably end happily and leave me feeling comfortable about it would be one about the resistance defeating the machines for good in the future. Did Terminator Salvation do that? I can't remember that film very well.

Not sure if you knew this, but the movie you referenced has a post credits sequence that keeps things from being all wrapped up.
    And no, Salvation was supposed to be part 1 of a three-part John Connor/future war trilogy that I think would have ended the series.
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Post  AGoodReed November 16th 2019, 4:43 am

Paeter wrote:
    Not sure if you knew this, but the movie you referenced has a post credits sequence that keeps things from being all wrapped up.

I did see that, but it came across as such an afterthought that it was about as effective as Deadpool's eyes opening after the credits of X-Men Origins: Wolverine. It felt like they just stuck it there because they had to. It didn't have near the impact on me that the ending of Terminator 3 had.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is September 6th 2024, 12:16 pm