Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Batman V Superman Was Great! (Don't Let The Critics Tell You What To Think!)

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Batman V Superman Was Great! (Don't Let The Critics Tell You What To Think!)  Empty Batman V Superman Was Great! (Don't Let The Critics Tell You What To Think!)

Post  Paeter March 25th 2016, 4:27 pm

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1759
    Geek-Cred : 11

Batman V Superman Was Great! (Don't Let The Critics Tell You What To Think!)  Empty Re: Batman V Superman Was Great! (Don't Let The Critics Tell You What To Think!)

Post  AdamCollings March 25th 2016, 4:47 pm

Haven't watch your video yet (want to cement all my own thoughts before checking out other people's) but totally agree with the subject. I saw it last night and it blew me away.

It's a worthy sequel to Man of Steel, it's a great Batman story, and it does a lot of interesting things setting up the new shared universe and laucnhing us toward the Justice League.

Hardest thing is I can't talk about to with my wife because I saw it alone (to save money).

I think there is a lot for Christians to chew on in the movie as well. Particularly one line from Lex Luthor, which I think sums up the thinking of many an atheist.
    Spoiler:

I think I'm gonna have to make two videos. One a spoiler-free review, and one a spoilery discussion.

Anyway, I'll be back with my thoughts, and really looking forward to watching your review Peater.
    jazzact13

Activity : 267
    Geek-Cred : 3

Batman V Superman Was Great! (Don't Let The Critics Tell You What To Think!)  Empty Re: Batman V Superman Was Great! (Don't Let The Critics Tell You What To Think!)

Post  jazzact13 March 26th 2016, 8:47 pm

I thought Jeremy Irons as Alfred was an interesting twist, and one that worked well.
    jazzact13

Post  jazzact13 March 28th 2016, 12:00 am

I do wonder about one thing. In Bruce's strange apocalyptic dream, did you recognize the character who was who was speaking to him at the end of it?
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 28th 2016, 10:21 am

jazzact13 wrote:I do wonder about one thing. In Bruce's strange apocalyptic dream, did you recognize the character who was who was speaking to him at the end of it?

Okay, it's officially time to dive in! I've started a new spoiler filled thread for this movie and would LOVE to talk about this stuff!

See you there in a minute!

https://spiritblade.forumotion.com/t1933-spoiler-filled-discussion-of-batman-v-superman

www.spiritblade.com
    jazzact13

Post  jazzact13 March 28th 2016, 11:09 pm

Sorry if that was a spoiler, I didn't intend for it to be, even tried to word it vaguely so it wouldn't spoil too much.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 29th 2016, 4:14 pm

jazzact13 wrote:Sorry if that was a spoiler, I didn't intend for it to be, even tried to word it vaguely so it wouldn't spoil too much.

No you're good. I just knew I'd have to give a spoiler to answer it. ;-)

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster March 29th 2016, 8:01 pm

no offence Paeter but I'm not going to take the word of a die hard DC fan on this movie either. I'm going tomorrow as a way of escape from everything that's going so hopefully I enjoy it.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 30th 2016, 9:05 am

Rickster wrote:no offence Paeter but I'm not going to take the word of a die hard DC fan on this movie either. I'm going tomorrow as a way of escape from everything that's going so hopefully I enjoy it.

That's probably a good way to enter this movie.

Incidentally, despite being a big DC fan (which itself is debatable with me these days since I ditched the comics years ago) I didn't enter the theater with hype, high hopes, dread, or any other strong feelings. In fact, my theory is that the more "die hard" you are and passionate about DC and these characters, the less you may enjoy the movie. I'll go into the "theory of enjoyment" I'm working on for this movie on this weekend's podcast, but until then I hope you have a good time and that it allows you to hit the "reset" button on your week a little bit.

Praying for you!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1759
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings March 30th 2016, 4:19 pm

Okay, I've finally done my review and watched yours Peater. We are very much on the same page.

Here is my review spoiler-free review:

Rickster, I'm not a die-hard comic guy (although I have been a fan of the Superman character since childhood). Hope you enjoyed the movie as much as I did.

Interesting what you bring up about plot and character Peater. As a writer, I'm a lover of story structure, and that was perhaps the one thing that niggled a little at me. I agree with you that this was very much a character-driven movie, which I think was the correct choice. It's almost like a big meta-view of the scene.sequel format. Man of Steel was the big plot-driven movie. Dawn of Justice gives us the opportunity to stop and reflect on it.

So, short of it is that I loved the movie, and the 'relevance factors' that Peater describe touched me deeply. I'll see you all in the spoiler thread.
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster March 30th 2016, 6:20 pm

I didn't get to see the end because a meeting with the Hospice people was scheduled after I got the ticket so I'll try and see it again later.

Not sure if you would call it irony or what but my grandma's name is Martha

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 16th 2024, 1:50 am