Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

What Should I Do With My Blog?

Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

What Should I Do With My Blog? Empty What Should I Do With My Blog?

Post  Reed Benson January 31st 2018, 4:55 am

So I have this blog I call "The Expatriate Act." Here it is: https://theexpatriateact.wordpress.com/

I haven't posted about it before, though, because I don't think it's very interesting. I started it way back when I first came to China on a one-year commitment, using it as a sort of newsletter for friends and family back home to follow. Back then, I didn't have access to Facebook or Twitter, so the blog was my only way to update people publicly.

Now, I have Twitter and Facebook available to me, so it's easier to give people little updates whenever I feel like it. Monthly bulk updates don't seem necessary anymore, which is why I'm having trouble coming up with things to write about on the blog.

So I ask you all: Is there anything you might be interested in reading a blog about as it relates to someone living in China? I know there are a ton of bloggers and v-loggers who produce content about life in China, so I don't know what I could write about that they aren't already covering. I also have the detriment of being a major introvert, so going out and doing things with people isn't as common for me as for those guys and girls. Perhaps someone here can give me an idea of something to write about....or even something to do that I can then write about.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

What Should I Do With My Blog? Empty Re: What Should I Do With My Blog?

Post  Paeter January 31st 2018, 10:14 am

Maybe some kind of pop culture vlog about what it's been like to be a geek in China? How entertainment differs or gets modified for the local audience. You've posted some interesting pictures before of pop culture related stuff in China. So maybe a picture with some comments?

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings January 31st 2018, 5:42 pm

I agree with Paeter. You've given us some interesting insights on the availability and reception of geek entertainment in China.

The other interesting thing you have to offer is "What's it like to be a Christian in China?" I realise, though, that this one is a bit sensitive.
    Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Post  Reed Benson January 31st 2018, 11:05 pm

Yeah, religion is tricky, but if I could get more stuff about geek culture, that would be something. I really need more male Chinese friends. The majority of my Chinese acquaintances are female, and none of them seem to deviate much from the interests of the typical Chinese female. I don't know any Chinese gamers or sci-fi nerds, and I don't know how many people even have access to comics that aren't Manga or juvenile.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter February 1st 2018, 10:30 am

Reed Benson wrote: I don't know any Chinese gamers or sci-fi nerds, and I don't know how many people even have access to comics that aren't Manga or juvenile.

Dude, that could be a great starting point! You're on a quest to find geekery in China! Each post you report on some entertainment you tried or some way in which you tried to connect with Chinese geeks. Could also be a great way to put yourself out there and develop some friendships!

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1095
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  jorowi February 1st 2018, 10:47 am

Burn it with fire. I hear fire adds excitement to any blog.

Twitter
    Instagram
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1095
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  jorowi February 28th 2018, 11:21 am

OK, serious response now.

Check out this video:

This guy goes around China meeting interesting people. He's tech-oriented but perhaps you could do the same for what interests you.

You don't need to make videos but you could write about those encounters.

Twitter
    Instagram
    Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Post  Reed Benson February 28th 2018, 7:22 pm

Thanks, John. That looks like a good path to explore if I can get myself out there and meeting people.

I did recently blog about an old comic book story I found. It was co-written by Steve Ditko (who created Spider-Man with Stan Lee) back in 1958, and it's something else. Let's just say that I don't think it would get published today. It actually relates to China, too, and it's in the public domain, so it seemed like the perfect thing to experiment with.

https://theexpatriateact.wordpress.com/2018/02/26/chinese-people-come-from-space-space-adventures-26/

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 8th 2024, 4:24 pm