Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Wonder Woman 1984 Trailer

AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Wonder Woman 1984 Trailer Empty Wonder Woman 1984 Trailer

Post  AdamCollings December 8th 2019, 4:57 pm

Thoughts?
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Wonder Woman 1984 Trailer Empty Re: Wonder Woman 1984 Trailer

Post  Paeter December 9th 2019, 10:07 am

Just saw this last night!

Seeing the early promo images, I thought the 80's vibe would bother me. For my tastes, I think the 80's is really being over-milked in entertainment in recent years.

But they give us a slightly modernized mid-80's here that takes the edge off a bit, so it didn't bother me.

LOVE that Chris Pine is back and that it seems to be the original Steve Trevor (rather than a son or grandson), and I already love his fish out of water material. I dig them as a couple, both for their personalities and the reversal of classic roles in comics.

Although not mentioned in the trailer, Kristen Wig(sp?) will be much more than a comedic relief role. And who she has been cast as sounded wrong when I heard about it, but I can see how they might get her there after watching this trailer.

I'm in!

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1094
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  jorowi December 9th 2019, 10:45 am

Paeter wrote:LOVE that Chris Pine is back and that it seems to be the original Steve Trevor (rather than a son or grandson), and I already love his fish out of water material.

It looks like they're flipping the roles this time which should be interesting. I'm also interested to know HOW they bring him back.

Also, was Diana really swinging on lightning or will we get an invisible jet?

Twitter
    Instagram
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings December 10th 2019, 4:59 pm

I don't know if I'm just looking at it through the lense of cynicism and resentment, but I was a little underwhelmed by my first viewing of this.
    I think it just feels a little....substanceless. Of course, you can hardly judge the substance of a movie from a 2 minute trailer.

The poppy dance music in the trailer just doesn't have the same gravitas as the original Hans Zimmer WW theme from BVS, which was re-used to great effect in the first movie.

I don't mind the 80s setting. I enjoy the nostalgia of it and don't feel like there's been too much of it yet. (All I can think of is Stranger Things and Ready Player 1)

The role-switching between Dianna and Steve *IS* interesting, so I think I'll enjoy that aspect. Just don't screw up canon. In BVS and JL, she is still mourning the loss of Steve.

My biggest issue with the whole premise is that BVS and JL made it pretty clear that Dianna had not been active as Wonder Woman between WW1 and present day. So not sure how they're going to handle that.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings December 10th 2019, 5:02 pm

jorowi wrote:Also, was Diana really swinging on lightning or will we get an invisible jet?

Yeah, swinging off lightning is a big concern. That's......ridiculous. My suspension of disbelief can accept that Dianna is a super-powered ancient greek god, but swinging on lightning (which is just a discharge of electricity). That crosses a line for me.

As for the invisible jet. I dunno. That comes across as one of the cheesier aspects of the character that I'd be fine without.
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 834
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  AGoodReed December 10th 2019, 7:10 pm

I'm more excited for this movie than any other upcoming movie I can think of. But I'm not going to watch any trailers. I've been spoiled too many times.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter December 11th 2019, 10:56 am

AdamCollings wrote:
    jorowi wrote:Also, was Diana really swinging on lightning or will we get an invisible jet?

Yeah, swinging off lightning is a big concern. That's......ridiculous. My suspension of disbelief can accept that Dianna is a super-powered ancient greek god, but swinging on lightning (which is just a discharge of electricity). That crosses a line for me.

I think they will explain this somehow. This version of Wonder Woman has not flown on her own yet, that I recall. But she has been flying in comics for decades, without a jet. So they may be trying to get her there. But that wouldn't explain why she doesn't fly in BVS and JL (unless she just didn't need to in her scenes. May have to watch them again).

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter December 11th 2019, 10:58 am

AdamCollings wrote:

I don't mind the 80s setting. I enjoy the nostalgia of it and don't feel like there's been too much of it yet. (All I can think of is Stranger Things and Ready Player 1)

I just re-watched Thor: Ragnarok, which used 80's music and tons of the 80's aesthetic in the marketing and some in the production design. It's not necessarily that lots of things have been set in the 80's, but elements of 80's trends are peppered all over entertainment in recent years.

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings December 11th 2019, 5:07 pm

Paeter wrote:
    I just re-watched Thor: Ragnarok, which used 80's music and tons of the 80's aesthetic in the marketing and some in the production design. It's not necessarily that lots of things have been set in the 80's, but elements of 80's trends are peppered all over entertainment in recent years.

Oh yes. That felt very out of place in Thor Ragnarok. Especially since it wasn't set during that time period.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings December 11th 2019, 5:08 pm

AGoodReed wrote:I'm more excited for this movie than any other upcoming movie I can think of. But I'm not going to watch any trailers. I've been spoiled too many times.
    That's probably a good idea, Reed. I admire your self-control.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 29th 2024, 10:26 am