Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+4
Nathan James Norman
CreatorsPixels
Drew.Rub
Paeter
8 posters

Your Favorite Video Game Consoles

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Your Favorite Video Game Consoles Empty Your Favorite Video Game Consoles

Post  Paeter November 25th 2013, 11:14 pm

Since we are currently ushering in a new generation of consoles, I'm curious about your favorite consoles of yesteryear. I'd like to share the results on the podcast sometime after Christmas.

To cast your vote, list three or fewer of the video games consoles you got the most enjoyment out of. You can measure that in quality or quantity, however you wish. All consoles on your list must have been released before 2013. And yes, PCs, mobile devices and obscure game machines are permitted for inclusion.

Entries with more than 3 consoles listed will have one item on the list randomly deleted, so stick to no more than three and list each console only once. The order doesn't matter. I plan to total all the entries and list the top three most popular choices on the SBU podcast.

Naturally I will cast my own vote as well. After much waffling and contemplation, I have to go with:

1. PS2 (which I've also enjoyed many PS1 games on)
    2. Xbox 360
    3. Super Nintendo

Really wanted to include PC, since I've gotten so much time and enjoyment out of Neverwinter Nights alone. But those are my three. Original NES was also a strong contender for 4th place.

Now I'm REALLY curious. What are YOUR three favorite consoles??

www.spiritblade.com
    Drew.Rub
    Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Your Favorite Video Game Consoles Empty Re: Your Favorite Video Game Consoles

Post  Drew.Rub November 26th 2013, 6:59 am

Paeter wrote:
    1. PS2 (which I've also enjoyed many PS1 games on)
    2. Xbox 360
    3. Super Nintendo
    I have to go with:

1) SNES
    2) Xbox 360 (yes, a Microsoft guy just listed something non-MS as a #1 pick!) affraid 
    3) Playstation (never got around to playing much on an PS2)
    CreatorsPixels
    CreatorsPixels

Activity : 236
    Geek-Cred : 8

Post  CreatorsPixels November 26th 2013, 7:08 am

First console we had as kids was the Sega Genesis, man I loved that thing!! Thing still worked!! Started my kids on the same one!

1) Sega Genesis
    2) SNES
    3) PS2
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman November 26th 2013, 11:08 am

SNES.

I spent the vast majority of my video game time on this console.

I played it pretty much into the GameCube/PS3 era.

Then I stopped playing video games.

So, my number 1, 2, and 3 slots have to all go to the SNES.

Great RPG's.
    Innovative Game Designers.
    Nostalgia.

I love the Super Nintendo!

(I wrote tons of reviews under the moniker "Lord Nazerous" on the now defunct "Super Nintendo Zone" YEARS ago. Mirror site here: http://super_nin10do.tripod.com/sections/reviews.html)
    Dreamerhorwitz
    Dreamerhorwitz

Activity : 77
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  Dreamerhorwitz November 26th 2013, 10:04 pm

1. PS1
    2. Ipod Touch
    3. Mac

The ps1 is my formal introduction to console gaming. It has a very good library and it really pushed the video game media as an art form.

The Ipod Touch is a very good portable gaming console because many game devs have many tools in the library and many ways that they can defy the standard for portable video games (ex: The Wolf Among Us is fixing to port).

Yes, I'm including the Mac. Alongside it's ports, the Mac has a ton of indie titles (STILL) and a ton of open source projects, making up a pretty great culture.
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike November 26th 2013, 10:57 pm

The gaming machines that have had the greatest impact on my video-gaming life:

Atari Jaguar - I clocked untold hours on this machine, and plugged it into my amplifier to double as a CD player. You know, in the 90s...

PlayStation 1 - Crash Bandicoot, Metal Gear Solid, Dino Crisis, Silent Hill, Tony Hawk, and who knows how many others defined my perception of video games.

Nintendo 64 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was only the most influential of the many games I purchased for this system and the hours of multiplayer contests it hosted. The Jaguar and the PS1 have since been left behind, but this machine still sees regular use in my house.

There you have my votes. The new consoles are wonderful, and they have their place. My Nintendo Wii has been a beautiful thing, but it will never replace that time of my life.

DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington November 27th 2013, 1:38 am

I haven't used many non-playstation consoles, so I will just pick my favorite playstation, otherwise my list would be comprised of the PS1, PS2 and PS3. I probably put the most hours into the PS2 (playing both PS1 and PS2 games) and the PS1 was awesome while I had it (it was my first console), but I will probably have to go with the PS3. I'm a sucker for high-quality, up-to-date graphics and controls and all, I guess, and I love it's ability to tell a compelling story, unlike any the pervious ones.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 27th 2013, 4:44 pm

Nathan James Norman wrote: my number 1, 2, and 3 slots have to all go to the SNES.

Great RPG's.
    Innovative Game Designers.
    Nostalgia.

I love the Super Nintendo!

Me tooooo!! Woohooooo! (But I can still only give it one entry.) :-(

"stick to no more than three and list each console only once."

www.spiritblade.com
    tmorrill
    tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill November 28th 2013, 1:14 am

360 because of the the Halo series, Mass Effect trilogy (except the last 30 minutes, yes I'm still bitter!).

NES because it really was my first console with a bunch of fun games that I still don't mind playing today.

PS2 because it was the first console I had that showed me that video games are more than a "lower form" of art. I love Xenosaga, that was really the first RPG I ever played.
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman November 29th 2013, 7:59 pm

Paeter wrote:
    Me tooooo!! Woohooooo! (But I can still only give it one entry.)  :-(

"stick to no more than three and list each console only once."
    Man... the ruler-follower inside of my is cringing that I violated this rule! (But this is the age of grace! You're rules can't contain me!!!!!!!)

ok... this is ruler-follower Nathan, again:

1. SNES
    2. PC - Warcraft 2!!!
    3. ummm... the Wii?
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter December 2nd 2013, 1:12 pm

Nathan James Norman wrote:
    Man... the ruler-follower inside of my is cringing that I violated this rule! (But this is the age of grace! You're rules can't contain me!!!!!!!)

lol!

This got me thinking a little of a conversation I had with Holly yesterday about video games and cheating. Some folks look down on cheating in video games, almost as though it shows a lack of character. But I'm of the opinion that when you're only playing against a machine there is no decree set forth by Yahweh that prevents you from cheating the crap outta that game.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 1st 2024, 9:10 pm