Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

8th grade boys study suggestions

Drew.Rub
    Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

8th grade boys study suggestions Empty 8th grade boys study suggestions

Post  Drew.Rub March 8th 2014, 8:20 am

I work with middle school boys (currently 7th graders) with my church youth ministry. Me and my co-leader cycle every three years, keeping the same group of boys from the 6th grade through the 8th.

Next fall we will start with our current crop as they begin their 8th grade year. Our MSM leader has asked us to work on some lessons (I'm thinking a whole semester if I can work it out) on the subject of purity and Biblical references/teachings/applications.

I know I'm about to open an entire world of information, but I have been thinking of a starting syllabus to include things like:

Purity in modern music
    Purity in modern movies
    Purity in modern tv
    Purity in modern advertising (print, radio, billboards)
    Purity in modern books
    purity in social media

My initial idea is to take each of the above and look at examples of inappropriate displays of purity and examples of appropriate displays of purity. I then want to find specific references in the bible to being pure in regards to our consumption of entertainment (yes, I realize movies weren't exactly thought of at the time).

My question for the community it, do you think I'm plotting a good hyperspace route here (yes, I did just throw that geek reference in) and what suggestions for inappropriate/appropriate references to each would you suggest?

Yes, I have several months to write this study out, but the earlier I start, I think the better.
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

8th grade boys study suggestions Empty Re: 8th grade boys study suggestions

Post  WhiteBoy March 10th 2014, 11:01 pm

Drew.Rub wrote:My question for the community it, do you think I'm plotting a good hyperspace route here.

It's not like dusting crops, kid.  Smile

Just ran across a verse that may be a good text to use at some point:
    Brothers, do not be children in your thinking. Be infants in evil, but in your thinking be mature-- 1 Corinthians 14:20.
    The phrase "be infants in evil" jumped out at me in relation to purity that you are talking about.  We should guard our innocence and not try to gain experience in evil things.

I'm sure there are many other, better passages about sanctification and being holy, but this is one we just talked about yesterday at church, so thought I'd share.

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill March 26th 2014, 1:31 pm

I'm late on this, but have you thought about doing just a study through James or Ephesians? The topics you wanted to talk about would come up naturally in any discussion, and if not you could bring them up yourself.

I'm not saying you'd do this, but I've noticed tendencies in topical studies. Eventually they will devolve into sin management instead of the mortification of sin. If the goal is to create a bunch of young men who you want to act like Good Christian Men™, then you're set. To me though, that's the same as putting a band aid on a paper-cut before giving someone CPR when they've had a heart attack.

At a minimum I'd be on guard against building up a mindset of sin management through this study.
    Drew.Rub
    Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub March 26th 2014, 5:19 pm

tmorrill wrote:I'm late on this, but have you thought about doing just a study through James or Ephesians? The topics you wanted to talk about would come up naturally in any discussion, and if not you could bring them up yourself.

I'm not saying you'd do this, but I've noticed tendencies in topical studies. Eventually they will devolve into sin management instead of the mortification of sin. If the goal is to create a bunch of young men who you want to act like Good Christian Men™, then you're set. To me though, that's the same as putting a band aid on a paper-cut before giving someone CPR when they've had a heart attack.

At a minimum I'd be on guard against building up a mindset of sin management through this study.

I don't think I'm aiming at sin management with the study. Since they will be 8th graders moving into HS a year later, it's more along the lines of helping train them to identify sources of impurity in the world around them. Granted, they are probably aware of those things, but actually talking about it, bringing it out and confronting it, and understanding how we as Christians should respond to it is the aim.

Yes, I want them to become Godly Young Men/Good Christian Men, so helping address the idea of how they are showing themselves and what they are consuming (for lack of a better word) in regards to purity is what we want to focus on.

Thanks for the input. Keep it coming.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter March 27th 2014, 12:50 pm

I would also tend to gravitate toward a book study, allowing conversation and application of the text at hand to naturally bring up real world examples. I'm convinced that the best thing we can inspire in those we teach and encourage in those we walk alongside is a purpose-driven habit in scripture and a desire to seek the truth regarding scripture and themselves.

They are at about the age where they can much more effectively read, understand and apply scripture to themselves independently. What may be most useful is to have someone (like yourself) who has a few years on them demonstrate how to read and pursue answers in the Bible. Then, when your time with them is over, they will be more equipped and hungry for personal time in the Bible, because they'll see its relevance to their day to day existence and the real encouragement and help it provides.

This is an awesome thing you're undertaking! Congratulations on having this opportunity!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 29th 2024, 7:14 am