Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

The 12th Doctor season finale

mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

The 12th Doctor season finale Empty The 12th Doctor season finale

Post  mindspike November 20th 2014, 11:15 am

I had to get about 2 1/2 hours together so my daughter and I could finally watch the 2 part season finale of the 12th Doctor's first season ("series" if you're British). As spoiler free as possible (you know the Doctor wins, right?) there were two things that just really jumped out at me.

1) The Doctor and Clara have the following exchange:

Clara: What now? I betrayed you.
    Doctor: Yes. You betrayed my trust, betrayed our friendship, betrayed everything I stand for.
    Clara: Aren't we done. Why haven't you thrown me out?
    Doctor: Do you think that I care for you so little that your complete betrayal would change that?

Wow. What a friend. What a picture of the ideal of love in a show that rabidly affirms every humanistic and naturalistic philosophy. I seem to constantly be screwing up my life and my friendships. I'd like to say it's primarily because I'm thoughtless, but real honesty traces thoughtlessness to a root of pride and selfishness. I absolutely depend on people to forgive me, and I live in fear of screwing up so badly that it's simply not possible.

But to have a friend like that. I'd like to think I have one or two friends that love me like that, whose love I would not be afraid to test that way, though I *think* I would never intentionally do so. In no way is the Doctor a form of parable or representation of Christ, but I do think this is emblematic of the desire for a relationship with Himself that God has placed in the heart of man.

2) The second exchange takes place in the "nethersphere".... it's a kind of afterlife.

The host is talking to (REDACTED).

Host: Imagine if babies could talk to each other in the womb. They would think that life is only 9 months long, and after the cord is broken... nothing. This isn't really an afterlife. It's just more life than you were expecting.

Again, wow. God has placed eternity in the heart of man. To affirm a strictly naturalistic philosophy is constant exercise. Doctor Who has never indulged in pseudo-spirituality. Everything is naturalistic, and the Doctor is adamant upon this point. But this one conversation reveals so much about how we are created and how we perceive the world. In a very real sense this is what we believe as Christians. After life comes more life.

And then of course SPOILER goes and SPOILERS the SPOILER so that SPOILER can SPOILER the SPOILER. But you knew that already, right?

AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

The 12th Doctor season finale Empty Re: The 12th Doctor season finale

Post  AdamCollings December 16th 2014, 11:36 pm

That quote from the Doctor (1) totally blew me away. Those are the most powerful words the Doctor has spoken in 51 years. The 12th Doctor hasn't been portrayed as a particularly likable character. I've been waiting for that point of connection. This was it. That one sentence demonstrate the kind of person the Doctor is, and why he remains the hero of the story despite his grumpy attitude and his reigned lack of concern.

It's always cool when a secular show gives a message that points to God like that.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter December 23rd 2014, 11:49 am

Hmmm. You guys are tempting me. I may have to give the season premiere a try next time it rolls around.

In the meantime, if anyone here wants to bring some Who Conversation to the SBU podcast (either sent in via text/recording or through a phone interview with me) I'd love to have more Who representation and conversation there!

www.spiritblade.com
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman December 23rd 2014, 3:34 pm

Winston, I almost gave up on this season. (I hated the first episode... I don't care for Clara... or Lizard people making out...) But my wife made me stick it out and I'm glad I did. This finale was awesome for the reasons you just listed.
    It is just one more evidence of the Kingdom of God shinning in the midst of this dark world.
    UKSteve
    UKSteve

Activity : 354
    Geek-Cred : 10

Post  UKSteve January 2nd 2015, 12:22 pm

Paeter wrote:Hmmm. You guys are tempting me. I may have to give the season premiere a try next time it rolls around.

In the meantime, if anyone here wants to bring some Who Conversation to the SBU podcast (either sent in via text/recording or through a phone interview with me) I'd love to have more Who representation and conversation there!

One day I'm gonna take Paeter up on that. I just don't tend to think about the episodes while I'm watching them first time round, which might make for a short conversation...
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter January 5th 2015, 3:58 pm

UKSteve wrote:
    Paeter wrote:Hmmm. You guys are tempting me. I may have to give the season premiere a try next time it rolls around.

One day I'm gonna take Paeter up on that. I just don't tend to think about the episodes while I'm watching them first time round, which might make for a short conversation...

How about we just start with a phone/skype/google+ interview where I ask you, as a noobie, about Dr. Who, what fans loved about it in the past, what makes new fans now and what keeps you specifically coming back to it? Toss in some examples and a couple rabbit trails and that sounds like a rockin' segment! If you're interested, shoot me an e-mail anytime!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 29th 2024, 7:18 am