Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

The 8th Doctor! (DOCTOR WHO: THE MOVIE)

BenAvery
    BenAvery

Activity : 322
    Geek-Cred : 16

The 8th Doctor! (DOCTOR WHO: THE MOVIE) Empty The 8th Doctor! (DOCTOR WHO: THE MOVIE)

Post  BenAvery July 10th 2012, 11:03 pm

My review of the 8th Doctor movie: http://strangersandaliens.com/2012/07/review-doctor-who-the-movie/

Quickie overview -- I liked this interesting step in Doctor Who history, a television movie, a joint venture between Fox and the BBC -- that takes place between the last BBC episode of the original run of Doctor Who and the first episode of the current run of Doctor Who. I also review the Peter Cushing Doctor Who movies, briefly, and give my fanboy take on how they could become part of official continuity . . . which they are not.

I enjoyed these Doctor Who oddities. Any of you Who fans have some thoughts about them?

The 8th Doctor! (DOCTOR WHO: THE MOVIE) Empty Re: The 8th Doctor! (DOCTOR WHO: THE MOVIE)

Post  Guest July 11th 2012, 12:01 am

Doctor Who TV movie: I love the idea of the movie, and what the trailers promised back in the day. I love the look of it, and the lighting of it. I love the set design for the TARDIS interior and exterior. And Paul McGann was (and still is!) a terrific Doctor. However, I don't think they got the emphasis right, so it takes a lot of time to gain momentum, and leaves McGann with such a short time to establish himself to any degree. I coped fine with the fact that it didn't work out as a backdoor pilot for a renewed show, because it still was continued on in a way with the Eighth Doctor novels series (followed and supplimented years later by audiodramas that Paul McGann participated in). Seeing Withnail and I also helps get a general vibe of his voice and movement. One major problem with the TV movie is that it doesn't do the silliness correctly, there's a ponderous lack of conviction; and it doesn't blend well when Eric Roberts absolutely viscous Master is around (it doesn't help that Roberts was a disappointing Master, as a general thing). The other major problem is that the elements that drive the story shift around, so it's confusing problematic, logic wise.

I like the TV movie. I happily paid money for it's long overdue release on DVD, which I've ached for, for the longest time. However, I am very cognizant of it's many flaws.

I only saw Dr. Who and the Daleks movie once, and it's okay. I have Daleks--Invasion Earth 25XX (I can never remember the stupid year) on DVD because it was one of my first ever memories of DW, ever (even though it's kind of a side-step to the main continuity). There's great energy to the thing, in a 60's psychedelic kind of way. It defies it's post apocalyptic setting with the Daleks in charge. People die, the situation is dark and grim, but the tone of the movie is not bleak; it's very optomistic about fighting to take back Earth.

The real oddity is seeing more DW topics than we need, on Paeter's Spirit Blade forum. He doesn't watch Doctor Who! Laughing These DW topics could probably be consolidated into an all-purpose DW topic, otherwise, it's gonna feel cluttered here in the SB forums.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

The 8th Doctor! (DOCTOR WHO: THE MOVIE) Empty Re: The 8th Doctor! (DOCTOR WHO: THE MOVIE)

Post  Paeter July 12th 2012, 1:15 am

Desert Kris wrote:

The real oddity is seeing more DW topics than we need, on Paeter's Spirit Blade forum. He doesn't watch Doctor Who! Laughing These DW topics could probably be consolidated into an all-purpose DW topic, otherwise, it's gonna feel cluttered here in the SB forums.

NO! Not at ALL! I'm lovin' this! And I certainly don't view these as my forums. These forums are for you guys! A playground for all of us, whether I personally connect with every topic or none of them! I'm hear to encourage the celebration of geekery, so "geek away" Doc Who fans!

In fact, I'm starting a new Who-thread right now!

www.spiritblade.com

Post  Guest July 12th 2012, 2:07 am

Paeter wrote:In fact, I'm starting a new Who-thread right now!

Demented. Just demented. Wink
    Drew.Rub
    Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub July 12th 2012, 11:01 pm

I really need to make time to watch a lot of the older Dr. Who movies. I started with the Series 1 (Christopher Eccelston) pickup, so there's alot I haven't seen or know about, excpet what I gleen from other sources.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 29th 2024, 1:19 am