Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Galavant - TV show

CreatorsPixels
    CreatorsPixels

Activity : 236
    Geek-Cred : 8

Galavant - TV show Empty Galavant - TV show

Post  CreatorsPixels January 8th 2015, 12:25 pm

Anyone else catch this load of crap?  Man, from the previews I was expecting something medival and halfway funny!!  What a let down.  One of the worst shows I've seen in a long time!!  I think the commercial breaks were the best part of it!!  And on ABC "Family" too!  Has anyone else noticed how stuff on ABC "Family" is something you certainly don't want your kids to see?  Or is it just me?  Its not like they ran it at 11pm either!
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Galavant - TV show Empty Re: Galavant - TV show

Post  mikel.withers January 8th 2015, 1:43 pm

I was super-excited to watch this show: it looked hilarious, it was on Disney during family time... (it will have a cameo by Weird Al...)
    However, it was mildly humorous with some brief instances of downright funny (jousting), and full of sexual innuendo and lewdness.
    I already liked Timothy Omundson from Psyche, and he and Vinnie Jones were the lone bright spots in the show.
    I plan on watching the next episode, but it is definitely on double super-secret probation.
    cleireac
    cleireac

Activity : 388
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  cleireac January 13th 2015, 9:24 am

See, I'm enjoying the show for the most part. Yes, it is not for kids, and I'm disappointed in the scheduling. The first couple of episodes were a little rocky, but I think its picked up somewhat (the fourth episodes take on Pirates I thought was pretty good).

I like the way the show plays with standard heroic fantasy and musical theater tropes, much like Monty Python and The Princess Bride did. The aforementioned episodes with the jousting and the pirates are great examples of this.

All in all, its silly fun, but definitely not for kids.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter January 13th 2015, 3:13 pm

cleireac wrote:

I like the way the show plays with standard heroic fantasy

Is it fantasy? I thought it was just medieval. Any magic or monsters? Wizards or fireballs?

www.spiritblade.com
    cleireac
    cleireac

Activity : 388
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  cleireac January 13th 2015, 5:51 pm

Paeter wrote:

Is it fantasy? I thought it was just medieval. Any magic or monsters? Wizards or fireballs?

Not fantasy like Lord of the Rings, or even Conan, more like The Princess Bride; Medieval-ish, but not so far as to get in the way of the joke.

The only really good true fantasy comedy that I can think of right now is the Myth series by Robert Lynn Asprin.

But, for me, Galavant as a bizarro mashup of Princess Bride, Monty Python and the Holy Grail and the musical Camelot, is just simply silly fun, with an emphasis on silly.
    CreatorsPixels
    CreatorsPixels

Activity : 236
    Geek-Cred : 8

Post  CreatorsPixels January 14th 2015, 10:11 am

Sadly I just found it dumb more than silly. The commercials were silly, and sadly better than the show! I don't plan to watch the rest of it.
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers January 15th 2015, 1:34 pm

So, I got around to watching the second Sunday's two episodes, and going in with much lessened expectations...I rather liked it.
    Yes, it is still crude and has more innuendo than is palatable, but there is some wit hidden in there. ...hidden well at times.
    Does anyone else remember the old G4TV show "Portal" with "Dave"? Well, it had a character named "Bloody Dove" who had a really foul mouth, so much so that his dialog was often just a series of 'bleeps'... well, I found that hilarious back in the day, and when Gareth tells his joke, I laughed out loud. ...okay, my sense of humor is skewed.
    Anyway, I'll keep watching, although I cringe when I think of what they will do with Ricky Gervais.
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers January 26th 2015, 2:23 pm

So.."8" episodes of Galavant and... what?
    I hope it does get a season 2, but I wont exactly be heartbroken if it withers on the vine.
    I guess the whole thing seems like wasted opportunities; like they couldn't quite pinpoint their target audience.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 9:33 am