Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+2
mindspike
Paeter
6 posters

The Oldest Show You Still Go Back To

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

The Oldest Show You Still Go Back To Empty The Oldest Show You Still Go Back To

Post  Paeter December 7th 2017, 8:21 am

I just started watching Highlander again after... wow...close to 10 years away from it!

Love the mythos, Duncan, sword fights, and quickenings. But a number of other elements have always been a little annoying, and now the dating of the show (which also involves production quality issues common to 80s/90s TV) is more glaring than ever.

The Flashback sequences are staying more timeless so far, but I wonder how far I'll go or how many episodes I'll skip this time around, which got me wondering...

What is the oldest TV show you still come back to and watch? Not necessarily every episode, but a large number of them.

Although I've been on a break for a couple of years, I have every intention of continuing through and finishing my viewing of the Incredible Hulk TV series. Lots of cheese, over-acting and 70's/80's TV issues in the mix. But Bill Bixby's performances still hold up (crap, no other word coming to mind) incredibly well. So that show is probably my oldest.

How about you?

www.spiritblade.com
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

The Oldest Show You Still Go Back To Empty Re: The Oldest Show You Still Go Back To

Post  mindspike December 7th 2017, 11:45 am

I still periodically go back and watch The Pretender. Love that show. There's a moment in the first season when Jarod goes to a private investigator. She asks how she can help and he just looks around her wall of "found people" for a moment before he turns to the camera, desperately pleading, "I don't know who I am..."

Reaching back a bit farther, Sliders remains a favorite that I revisit every year or two. Jerry O'Connell and John Rhys-Davies make a great team.

Keep reaching back for Batman: the Animated Series. No explanation needed.

Before that?

Um... the Flash 1989 series with John Wesley Shipp. I still enjoy it, but in a different way now. Other than that? I grew up watching Star Trek TOS, Next Generation, Buck Rogers, and Battlestar Galactica. That's my fallback quartet when I just can't decide what I'm in the mood for.

jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1095
    Geek-Cred : 7

The Oldest Show You Still Go Back To Empty Re: The Oldest Show You Still Go Back To

Post  jorowi December 7th 2017, 3:25 pm

MeTV airs a lot of old shows. Wonder Woman, Batman 1966, and Star Trek are ones I frequently stop and watch.

Twitter
    Instagram
    Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  Reed Benson December 7th 2017, 11:33 pm

Seinfeld. It's the only show I own on DVD.

I watch Cheers on Netflix fairly regularly, but I never really watched it before, so I'm not actually "going back to it."

There are a lot of old shows that I'd like to casually watch again, but I put most of my viewing efforts into movies and YouTube stuff, so TV shows don't get much of my time.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings December 8th 2017, 7:01 pm

Star Trek TOS would be the oldest that I keep going back to.
    The other Star Treks as well, obviously.

The other more recent "classic" that I go back to would be Babylon 5. Then again, I don't "go back" to much of anything these days. No time. I can't keep up with the new stuff that I haven't seen, let alone go back and rewatch something.
    UKSteve
    UKSteve

Activity : 354
    Geek-Cred : 10

Post  UKSteve December 9th 2017, 2:25 pm

Classic Red Dwarf, obviously (first 5 series was, for me, the show at its best and a great nostalgia hit as I turned 14 while the first series was airing).

Blake's Seven. Bought the full series on DVD (Dutch edition, cheaper and the only difference being the need to turn off Dutch subtitles before starting!) and still working my way through.

Classic Doctor Who, although that's not always 'going back to' as there's a whole lot especially in the very early (1st & 2nd Doctors) that I still haven't seen once. Always a treat to go back to the Tom Baker years though.

The Prisoner. Too old for me to have watched first time round, but caught some reruns in my teens and was hooked. Got the DVD boxset after visiting The Village a few years back and getting the bug again.
    Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  Reed Benson December 11th 2017, 6:42 am

Now that I see that The Twilight Zone is on Netflix, I think I'll be going back to that one. I used to be a huge fan of the reruns when I was a kid.

It's probably not that geeky, and definitely not as old as The Twilight Zone, but I'd really like to watch Boy Meets World all the way through.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 7th 2024, 5:28 am