Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Undertale: a video game

Morfinwen
    Morfinwen

Activity : 43
    Geek-Cred : 1

Undertale: a video game Empty Undertale: a video game

Post  Morfinwen December 3rd 2015, 3:34 am

The friendly RPG where you don't have to kill anyone!

So i finished this game in about two days a couple weeks ago. I'm still thinking about it, which in general i consider a good sign, but i haven't really been able to discuss it with anyone, and i haven't found any Christian reviews of it.

Has anyone here played it? Heard of it? Seen it out of the corner of your eye only to disappear when you tried looking?
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Undertale: a video game Empty Re: Undertale: a video game

Post  Paeter December 3rd 2015, 11:32 am

Definitely heard of and seen some of this game and it has me very curious! My impression is that it's a game you should experience yourself before hearing too much about it, but I'm not sure if that's worth the risk of playing a game I won't like.

I'm interested in the non-violent combat options, but do they still feel tactical, or is the game more of a "choose your own adventure" as you navigate through dialogue options? I suck at games despite loving them, so I avoid most games others consider challenging unless there is an easy mode. But I'm also not interested in just walking around and talking to people or having a strictly story based experience. (For story I prefer more passive mediums like books/tv/movies/etc.)

Can you describe what the game play feels like?

www.spiritblade.com
    Morfinwen
    Morfinwen

Activity : 43
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  Morfinwen December 4th 2015, 1:39 am

A lot of people have said it's the kind of game you need to experience for yourself. I'm not sure i agree with that claim myself, but i can see why people feel that way. I started by watching Cryaotic play it. There were always at least a few comments telling people "play it for yourself first!!", though i think it was more the charm of the game itself that won me over.

It isn't a "walking simulator", like Dear Esther or Gone Home are sometimes called. Whether you talk or fight your way through, you will have combat encounters, and you have to dodge enemy attacks either way. I hear the combat system compared a lot to EarthBound, but since i've never played EarthBound i can't compare it. There isn't an "easy" mode as such, but i managed it and i'm far from a fighting game expert, and in some of the climactic final battles you'll reach a point where you can't lose.

If you're unsure about buying it, i think i'd recommend watching someone play at least some of it -- you'll get a few spoilers, sure, but you'll also get the basic idea of how the game works and the kind of "feel" it has, hopefully enough to work out if you'd like it.

There are a couple same-sex relationships that you have to encourage to get the best possible ending. It's annoying, but if you squint and tilt your head sideways, you can almost pretend they're just friends. It never gets more explicit than a peck on the cheek in the end credits.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter December 4th 2015, 11:29 am

Morfinwen wrote:There are a couple same-sex relationships that you have to encourage to get the best possible ending. It's annoying, but if you squint and tilt your head sideways, you can almost pretend they're just friends. It never gets more explicit than a peck on the cheek in the end credits.
    lol! Reminds me of how I navigate my enjoyment of Modern Family. (My wife and I are finishing season 1 right now.)

Thanks for the info! I may have to look into this one some more! I haven't ever gone back to it, but I did really enjoy my time with Earthbound way back in the day.

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings December 14th 2015, 6:13 pm

One of my workmates has recommended this game to me. I need to check it out.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 2nd 2024, 9:19 am