Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+3
AdamCollings
jorowi
Paeter
7 posters

Last Jedi Teaser

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Last Jedi Teaser Empty Last Jedi Teaser

Post  Paeter April 25th 2017, 9:27 am

Alright Star Wars fans! Start speculating!

I've heard one commentator predict that Luke will follow the overdone arc of becoming jaded only to be brought back to the "light" by the optimism of a youthful protagonist. I'm sad to say I think this is what we're in for. Only because Disney has show with their handling of Marvel properties that they don't like taking being creative risks but instead just do what works and that their audience will predictably enjoy.

The alternative that I'd LOVE to see? No, I don't want Luke to go to the dark side. What I want is for this comment at the end to be about recognizing the hypocrisy and broken philosophy of the Jedi. I want Luke to see that the TRUE path of the light is not detachment from others, and that absolutes are not the path to the dark side. I want Luke to create some kind of new order of the force based on much more consistent and less self-defeating/hypocritical principles.

But I doubt many Star Wars fans are ready for that kind of massive game-changer.

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1095
    Geek-Cred : 7

Last Jedi Teaser Empty Re: Last Jedi Teaser

Post  jorowi April 25th 2017, 12:36 pm

I shared my thoughts in a vlog last week:

Twitter
    Instagram
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings April 25th 2017, 6:13 pm

Paeter wrote:The alternative that I'd LOVE to see? No, I don't want Luke to go to the dark side. What I want is for this comment at the end to be about recognizing the hypocrisy and broken philosophy of the Jedi. I want Luke to see that the TRUE path of the light is not detachment from others, and that absolutes are not the path to the dark side. I want Luke to create some kind of new order of the force based on much more consistent and less self-defeating/hypocritical principles.

But I doubt many Star Wars fans are ready for that kind of massive game-changer.

Yeah, that'll never happen, but that would be really cool.
    I always felt like the line "Only the Sith deal in absolutes" was a direct dig at Christianity. I may have been too sensitive though.
    jazzact13

Activity : 267
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  jazzact13 April 25th 2017, 11:10 pm

Has anyone heard for sure that it's suppose to be Luke speaking at the end? When I first saw the trailer, I thought it Kylo Ren speaking, maybe because it seemed like something he would say, but also the voice doesn't sound much like Luke/Hamill.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter April 26th 2017, 10:55 am

jazzact13 wrote:Has anyone heard for sure that it's suppose to be Luke speaking at the end? When I first saw the trailer, I thought it Kylo Ren speaking, maybe because it seemed like something he would say, but also the voice doesn't sound much like Luke/Hamill.

I'm extremely confident that's the voice of Mark Hamill at the end. Gotten to know his voice pretty well, even as it has aged and gotten deeper.

Have you watched the Force Awakens Bad Lip Reads? Mark Hamill does the voice of Han Solo.

www.spiritblade.com
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy April 27th 2017, 9:03 am

Paeter wrote:The alternative that I'd LOVE to see? No, I don't want Luke to go to the dark side. What I want is for this comment at the end to be about recognizing the hypocrisy and broken philosophy of the Jedi. I want Luke to see that the TRUE path of the light is not detachment from others, and that absolutes are not the path to the dark side. I want Luke to create some kind of new order of the force based on much more consistent and less self-defeating/hypocritical principles.

When i first heard the title of the new movie I thought it meant that Luke would die by the end of the movie and Rey would be the last Jedi. But after seeing the teaser, I think it is actually in line more with what Paeter is saying. I think Luke is having a philosophical change of mind. I don't know that they will take it as far as Paeter is hoping for, but I wouldn't be surprised. Luke himself was "too old" according the Jedi ways to be trained as a Jedi. Jedi were not to marry, yet (in the Legends universe) married and had children. I suspect that Rey is his daughter and so it could be revealed that he was married and had Rey, showing that he realizes emotional attachments are not wrong.

I wonder if the Jedi of the time of the movies had kind of lost their way. Similar to the manner the Pharisees were making up more rules and rules on how to follow the rules and had lost the whole purpose of the law, I wonder if the Jedi were kind of lost in these rules that really had no purpose. I have not read much of the Old Republic era stuff, so I don't know if there's any precedent for that. It seems that there was at least one husband and wife who were Jedi. Has anyone read the Old Republic era of the Legends materials?

Just my two cents.

Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike April 28th 2017, 11:24 am

In the EU they eventually went with a "unified Force". There is no Light vs Dark, there is only one single Force that encompasses both. It was very unitarian. I suspect that is what is going to happen with the movies as well. I do think that the "last Jedi" is Luke. I think Rey is going to become the first of a new order of Force users, in the same way that Kylo is not a Sith but a Knight of Ren. I think that's a smart decision on Disney's part. It allows the mythology to move forward without the baggage of the previous material, opening up quite a lot of room for the franchise to take new directions. In addition, it preserves the "history" of the universe for the telling of other tales in the comics and novels.

Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  Reed Benson April 29th 2017, 5:56 pm

mindspike wrote:In the EU they eventually went with a "unified Force". There is no Light vs Dark, there is only one single Force that encompasses both. It was very unitarian. I suspect that is what is going to happen with the movies as well. I do think that the "last Jedi" is Luke. I think Rey is going to become the first of a new order of Force users, in the same way that Kylo is not a Sith but a Knight of Ren. I think that's a smart decision on Disney's part. It allows the mythology to move forward without the baggage of the previous material, opening up quite a lot of room for the franchise to take new directions. In addition, it preserves the "history" of the universe for the telling of other tales in the comics and novels.

For a moment, I thought you meant the European Union...
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter May 1st 2017, 9:09 am

mindspike wrote:In the EU they eventually went with a "unified Force". There is no Light vs Dark, there is only one single Force that encompasses both. It was very unitarian. I suspect that is what is going to happen with the movies as well. I do think that the "last Jedi" is Luke. I think Rey is going to become the first of a new order of Force users, in the same way that Kylo is not a Sith but a Knight of Ren. I think that's a smart decision on Disney's part. It allows the mythology to move forward without the baggage of the previous material, opening up quite a lot of room for the franchise to take new directions. In addition, it preserves the "history" of the universe for the telling of other tales in the comics and novels.

WOW! I'm shocked, and now a little hopeful, that the movies can get the kind of shake-up I've been wanting! Thanks for that insight! Even if it doesn't do all the things I'd like, this kind of evolution for the SW universe would be such a welcome change for me. And as you mentioned, plenty of room for them to go back. They could even make movies in the Old Republic era if they wanted.

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Last Jedi Teaser Empty Latest "the Last Jedi" Trailer

Post  jorowi October 10th 2017, 8:09 am

Twitter
    Instagram
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter October 10th 2017, 9:50 am

Looking pretty cool! Hopefully that's not just a tease and we'll get to see Rae go on some ups and downs in her journey with The Force. (And I'm still hoping for Luke's teaching to reveal some things that ditch the self-defeating underpinnings of "Force Theology".)

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Post  jorowi October 10th 2017, 11:31 am

This trailer contains a lot of fancy editing and misdirection.

Twitter
    Instagram
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings October 10th 2017, 5:50 pm

jorowi wrote:This trailer contains a lot of fancy editing and misdirection.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. Rey is asking for advice. Then they cut to Kylo. But, is that *really* who she is talking to?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 2nd 2024, 5:30 am