Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

"The Predator" Teaser Trailer

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

"The Predator" Teaser Trailer Empty "The Predator" Teaser Trailer

Post  Paeter May 10th 2018, 8:48 am

Here it is:

Hooo...

I'm a big Predator fan, but this doesn't look good to me.

Looks very actiony-brainless-popcorn movie. Sure, that's what Predator movies have largely been, but it doesn't mean they shouldn't grow and advance with the times.

On top of that, and this is HUGE... I didn't feel scared of this creature at all. He just felt like any other invading alien in a sci-fi action movie.

And what's with the Spielbergian kid? How is he going to factor in? I'm afraid... for all the wrong reasons...

www.spiritblade.com
    jazzact13

Activity : 267
    Geek-Cred : 3

"The Predator" Teaser Trailer Empty Re: "The Predator" Teaser Trailer

Post  jazzact13 May 12th 2018, 12:29 am

Not really much story-wise. Yeah, not sure what's going on with the kid, or how he'll play into it, or if that's a good thing or not.

Still, the hybridization angle, whatever they mean by that, is a little intriguing.

This trailer shows enough to make me think I'd give it shot. Probably won't be the best movie I'll see all year, but still pretty solid.
    fxruizx
    fxruizx

Activity : 169
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  fxruizx May 15th 2018, 1:22 pm

I too am hesitant about how the movie will turn out, at least based on this trailer. Agree that Predator hybrids is interesting as a premise, but in my own wide eyed fantasy, I would have liked to have seen a Predator stranded on a future earth where some cataclysm has happened, and it is the Predator that is being hunted by the remaining normal-human survivors for his tech, and mutated-cannibals (aliennabals?), for the predator's life essence (they want to glow green).

But that's just Francisco's Fabulous Fan Fiction (it's fabulous)
    jazzact13

Post  jazzact13 May 16th 2018, 12:24 am

fxruizx wrote:I too am hesitant about how the movie will turn out, at least based on this trailer. Agree that Predator hybrids is interesting as a premise, but in my own wide eyed fantasy, I would have liked to have seen a Predator stranded on a future earth where some cataclysm has happened, and it is the Predator that is being hunted by the remaining normal-human survivors for his tech, and mutated-cannibals (aliennabals?), for the predator's life essence (they want to glow green).

But that's just Francisco's Fabulous Fan Fiction (it's fabulous)

Not a bad idea. The Alien/Predator movies do suffer from being essentially the same idea done over and over. If nothing else, your Mad Max meets Predator idea could be a big change from what's come before.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter May 16th 2018, 8:18 am

Really interesting, Francisco! It makes me sit and think about the essence of a predator story. They all seem to be about having him go up against the apex predator on the planet. Luring them and then hunting for sport. A formula that does get repetitious. So I like your idea for turning it on its head. I wonder what some other ways might be to do that. Like maybe put him up against a conceptually different kind of predator. By that I mean a "predator" in some other sense.

I don't know what that would be. The only thing I can think of is someone who is more a strategist than combatant. In the movie Predators that tried to play with this a bit, with one of the most effective human "predators" being what they were because of their ability to deceive and manipulate.

OR!

This just occurred to me. What if you throw it on its head by going the Alien route! By that I mean the first movie, where you have an ensemble cast and you think you might know who the "hero" is, but then they get killed off way earlier than expected and before you know it you've got an unexpected survivor going up against the monster. And maybe throw in a touch of Far Cry 3's plot, where you've got someone who starts out as nobody the Predator would consider a challenge, but then out of sheer will to survive learns skills, gets clever and pulls off a victory.

lol! Maybe that's who the little kid is! Yikes!

www.spiritblade.com
    fxruizx
    fxruizx

Post  fxruizx May 16th 2018, 8:50 am

jazzact13 wrote:Not a bad idea. The Alien/Predator movies do suffer from being essentially the same idea done over and over. If nothing else, your Mad Max meets Predator idea could be a big change from what's come before.

Oh yea Mad Max: Predator Road is a great way to encapsulate it cheers
    fxruizx
    fxruizx

Post  fxruizx May 16th 2018, 8:53 am

Paeter wrote:This just occurred to me. What if you throw it on its head by going the Alien route! By that I mean the first movie, where you have an ensemble cast and you think you might know who the "hero" is, but then they get killed off way earlier than expected and before you know it you've got an unexpected survivor going up against the monster. And maybe throw in a touch of Far Cry 3's plot, where you've got someone who starts out as nobody the Predator would consider a challenge, but then out of sheer will to survive learns skills, gets clever and pulls off a victory.

lol! Maybe that's who the little kid is! Yikes!

Well I hope that's not what the kid is going to be, but I do love the idea of the Predator ignoring the "helpless" unarmed, no sport, non lead actor, and then that character somehow MacGuyvering his/her way to defeating the Predator I love you
    jazzact13

Post  jazzact13 September 14th 2018, 11:57 pm

So, my take on this movie...

On the good side, I liked some of the things they tried to do with the story. I liked the idea of a group essentially watching out for predator excursions to earth, though it did have a stereotypical feel to it, like ID4. I liked how they gave the predators themselves more development, that they aren't a monolithic people but themselves have some factions and disagreements; it's not super-well developed, but it is brought up, and could be promising. I even like how they make the trophy spines not just about trophy-hunting, but also how the predators are making use of what they are taking. This really was a promising story.

But it lost so much in so many little ways. I guess some profanity was to be expected, but for my taste it was just too much, especially when they had the kid use such language a few times. There was no shown nudity, though the one character's wife was an artist who seemed to liked painting nudes. The story did have some times when it didn't hold together well, or was confusing. The lame global-warming scare was completely unnecessary.

Overall, it's not something I'd be in a hurry to see again. I don't think it's as good as the original Predator, much better than Predator 2 (but most movies are, anyway), not quite up there with the first AvP, maybe about the same as the second AvP.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 6th 2024, 11:51 am