Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Occupation Teaser Trailer

AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Occupation Teaser Trailer Empty Occupation Teaser Trailer

Post  AdamCollings January 17th 2018, 10:13 pm

I'm excited. Despite a couple of recent examples that Peater somehow managed to find, sci-fi is pretty much non-existent in Australia's small film industry. Imagine how I felt when I learned that this movie was in the works. A first contact alien invasion story, set right here in Australia. I'm wetting myself.

I view our local film industry in a similar light to the Christian film industry. It's in the process of growing and maturing. It's not yet at the same level as Hollywood. This feels like a significant milestone.

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Occupation Teaser Trailer Empty Re: Occupation Teaser Trailer

Post  Paeter January 18th 2018, 10:16 am

Dude, this looks great!

Two things come to mind:

1. I sometimes catch my own self-centeredness (or would it be some kind of nationalism?) when I see foreign (to me) films about global events that center on another country, like Japan or England. It seems weird that the main event would happen "over there" until I realize I've just been catered to all my life with global event movies centered on American cities. Does it feel weird to you watching Global event movies which always seem to center on the east or west coast of the states? (Even *I* get tired of that.)

2. I'm so sorry, because I've probably hammered this so many times, so forgive me. Have you watched Farscape? Just thinking about your comment about sci-fi being rare in the Australian film industry and it reminded me of the behind the scenes documentaries and commentaries for Farscape in which they talk about what an unprecedented thing it was to have a well-funded sci-fi show filming in Australia. So much so that some of Australia's biggest TV and film stars were lining up to guest star on the show and take advantage of the opportunity. Anyway, you've probably seen it already, but just had to hammer it one more time to be sure. That was some great Australian film making! (In the wrap party for the show American producer even proudly said to the cast and crew something like "this is an Australian TV show made by Australians".)

It looks to me like some momentum is getting started for sci-fi films in Australia, which is great for me because they have a style that departs from the Hollywood norm. Looking forward to this one!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings January 18th 2018, 5:41 pm

1) It doesn't feel weird, because like you, we've all grown up watching movies where the big events always take place in America. So we're kinda used to it. And it makes sense. The best sci-fi movies come out of America, and it makes sense that American filmmakers set their stories in their nation (which is exactly what we've done here). We have a bit of a chuckle about it. There's even a funny line in the (American) movie Monsters vs Aliens, where the news anchor (played by a prominent Aussie TV personality) says "Aliens have invaded America because that's where aliens always land." It does feel special when a story like this has a local setting, though. I guess it's the same feeling that may be driving the modern push for diversity in fiction. The "these are people like me. I don't usually get to see that" kind of attitude.

I was a little disappointed when Speilburg moved the setting of War of The Worlds to contemporary America (although I enjoyed the movie and it was otherwise surprisingly true to the book) but I think it would be awesome to see a movie version that retains it Victorian England setting, just because that would be a cool genre-mash-up to see. The world needs more historical sci-fi.

2) Continue to hammer away Wink I watched some of the first season of Farscape when it first aired. I remember thinking of it as a bit of a hybrid. Shot here, with a lot of local cast and crew, but also jointly made by the American Jim Henson company (and with an American lead). Anyway, it was pretty exciting to have something like this being shot here. I didn't fully get into it though, and kinda quietly drifted away. Partly because they probably moved it to a late timeslot and I just forgot about it, but I remember one particular episode, where the alien muppet guy urinated acid as a diversion. At that moment I said to myself "This is too silly. It's not serious sci-fi like Trek. I don't think the show is for me."

When you first started mentioning how much you love it, I was initially surprised, given your clear preference for darker serious fiction, but I quickly realised I'd misjudged the show, and had clearly missed something. I would love to go back and re-watch the whole thing now. I hunted around Netflix and Stan, but neither had it. At this point, probably the only way I can watch it is by hiring the DVD box sets (assuming our one remaining video library in town has it) I should go see if I can find it once the house moving is done and dusted.

When I was younger, I dreamed of a world where every episode of every show ever made was online in a vast database that you could just stream and watch. Advances in technology has made that a reality, except for one stupid little thing. Exclusive licensing. Netflix exists, but can only show those titles it has the rights to.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter January 19th 2018, 9:56 am

AdamCollings wrote:1)There's even a funny line in the (American) movie Monsters vs Aliens, where the news anchor (played by a prominent Aussie TV personality) says "Aliens have invaded America because that's where aliens always land."

Lol of the morning!

AdamCollings wrote:
    I was a little disappointed when Speilburg moved the setting of War of The Worlds to contemporary America (although I enjoyed the movie and it was otherwise surprisingly true to the book) but I think it would be awesome to see a movie version that retains it Victorian England setting, just because that would be a cool genre-mash-up to see. The world needs more historical sci-fi.

Yes! This! THIS please!

AdamCollings wrote:
    2)  I watched some of the first season of Farscape when it first aired. I remember thinking of it as a bit of a hybrid. Shot here, with a lot of local cast and crew, but also jointly made by the American Jim Henson company (and with an American lead). Anyway, it was pretty exciting to have something like this being shot here. I didn't fully get into it though, and kinda quietly drifted away. Partly because they probably moved it to a late timeslot and I just forgot about it, but I remember one particular episode, where the alien muppet guy urinated acid as a diversion. At that moment I said to myself "This is too silly. It's not serious sci-fi like Trek. I don't think the show is for me."

Ben Browder is about the only American element. It was more of a British/Australian joint effort, with some Americans more on the producer side and maybe some of the writing. But it was more Australian, I think, than anything else.

As for the humor, not sure why it worked for me. (And to be honest, it didn't ALWAYS work for me. Plenty of fumbles for my tastes, especially early on.) Maybe because it felt subversive and "rebellious" in what had been such a straight-laced genre for so long (in the US, at least). It also caught me off-guard more than other movies/shows using humor, because the whole show wasn't trying to be funny all the time. In fact often the opposite.

Anyway, circling back to the topic, it's my experience with Farscape that has made me appreciate and take interest in any geek-genre movies coming out of Australia. I think there is a unique flavor there I'd love to get more of!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings January 28th 2018, 6:50 pm

Well, our last DVD rental place in town is closing. Maybe I an pick up Farscape cheap as an ex-rental.
    I've been looking into online video rental options. They don't look great. youTube and itunes have Farscape, but only for purchase, not rent. And they're both really expensive. Season 1 ends up being $44. I can buy season 1 on physical media for $24. Online rental is an awesome idea, but so over-priced that it's not practical.

So, Peater. The big question. Can you tell me what episode number you started Farscape Shworma? I wanna listen to your commentary as I work my way through the show.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter January 29th 2018, 12:26 pm

AdamCollings wrote:
    So, Peater. The big question. Can you tell me what episode number you started Farscape Shworma? I wanna listen to your commentary as I work my way through the show.

It starts at episode 310 of The Spirit Blade Underground Podcast. It's usually the last 5-10 minutes of an episode, after the end credits. Hope you enjoy!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings March 27th 2018, 6:32 pm

They've uploaded a behind-the-scenes featurette. Still waiting on the official release date.

https://www.facebook.com/occupationthemovie/videos/548499425536701/

And looks like it will show in US theatres as well.
    https://www.if.com.au/us-theatrical-deals-for-occupation-and-mountain/?utm_content=buffer22417&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 28th 2018, 9:52 am

Sweet! I'll keep en eye out for listings! Thanks for the update!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings July 11th 2018, 5:40 pm

So today is the release day for this film.
    They're describing it as a "national release". That means it's showing in every state of Australia, except Tasmania.

So I won't be seeing it.

I know it's just a movie. I know my joy is in Christ, not in entertainment. I know I'll probably be able to see it some day on blu-ray.
    but here's what really gets me.

For over a year, I've marketed this movie for them with every chance I got. I've been preaching how we need to support the local film industry so that it can grow and improve. I was hoping to see it as close to opening day as possible so I could get a review up on youtube (which would serve them as much as it serves me).

But I don't matter. I love on the butt-end of Australia. (at least, that's how they see us)

In fairness, I emailed the company that made the film, and it seems they are at least trying to get it shown down here, but there are only two cinema chains in Tassie and it seems they're not interested.

so ironically, you guys in America will probably have more chance of seeing it than I will.

AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 834
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  AGoodReed July 11th 2018, 7:34 pm

Surprised Mad  Sad

Occupation Teaser Trailer This-i10
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter July 12th 2018, 8:29 am

Oh man, that's lame. Sorry, that really sucks.

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1094
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  jorowi July 12th 2018, 9:53 am

AdamCollings wrote:I emailed the company that made the film, and it seems they are at least trying to get it shown down here, but there are only two cinema chains in Tassie and it seems they're not interested.

Keep pestering them! Ask for a digital screener.

Twitter
    Instagram
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings July 12th 2018, 6:12 pm

jorowi wrote:Keep pestering them! Ask for a digital screener.

That's a cool idea, and I could almost justify it as a youTube reviewer. Dunno if I'd have the boldness to ask, though. I may work up the courage if other options don't present.

However,
    There are some interesting developments. I did suggest the movie to a little independent theatre that has just opened up in Town. They said they'd look into it. In the meantime, the producers have told me they're hoping to get the movie down here in week 2. So things are definitely happening.

But it's not just me. While all other states get at least one theatre screening it, Aussie states are pretty large areas. Fans in the Queensland town of Cairns have started a petition to the only cinema chain in their area to show the film.

I think the behind-the-scenes story in all of this may almost be as interesting as the movie itself. Australian cinema chains are proving that they have no confidence in Australian films. Local content, it seems, doesn't make money in their eyes. What does it say about companies that won't even support their own industry? The Aussie public, however, are trying to show those companies that they're wrong. There *IS* a market for home-grown movies. Australians *can* do sci-fi, not just (as the petition says) "the usual arthouse films about drug addicts in Sydney".
    Will the cinemas listen to our voice?
    If they do, will we be proven right, or will cinemas fail to justify the film with poor ticket sales?
    Only time will tell.
    (I feel a Vlog coming on)
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1094
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  jorowi July 13th 2018, 9:17 am

AdamCollings wrote:I may work up the courage if other options don't present.
    Occupation Teaser Trailer Giphy

Twitter
    Instagram
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter July 16th 2018, 10:58 am

Yeah, this sounds like a really interesting opinion piece, Adam! I'd love to see it!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings July 16th 2018, 6:38 pm

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter July 17th 2018, 5:20 pm

Great video, Adam! Left you a comment on your channel. Thanks for posting it here!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings September 28th 2018, 6:23 pm

I finally got the see the movie last night, and am working on my review.

Spoiler - The movie rocks!

Occupation Teaser Trailer Occupa10
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings September 29th 2018, 8:22 am

My review is up!

The movie is being distributed in America by Saban Films. I hope some of you get to see it.

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter October 1st 2018, 12:01 pm

Sweet! I hope to review this one myself! Glad you liked it!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings September 21st 2020, 10:06 pm

Teaser has just released for Occupation Rainfall, the sequel to Occupation.
    Doesn't reveral much but seems like it might have a bigger scope than the first.

https://www.facebook.com/occupationthemovie/videos/1704629803028711
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter September 22nd 2020, 9:14 am

Thanks, Adam! Looks cool! Here is a copy I found on youtube to embed here:

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content