Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

What Do You Want From "Avengers: Infinity War"?

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

What Do You Want From "Avengers: Infinity War"? Empty What Do You Want From "Avengers: Infinity War"?

Post  Paeter April 25th 2018, 8:17 am

The time is finally upon us! The culmination of years of Marvel movie-making!

I'm curious what people want from this movie!

I'm also curious about what fans of the previous movies would like from this one, tonally. Marvel movies have largely shared a light, comedic tone, but the trailers for this movie look heavier and more serious than maybe any Marvel movie yet. Or at least the Avengers movies that came before.

I was talking to an uber movie-buff friend awhile back (the kind that knows all the inside production stories) and he said that Joss Whedon's personal rule is to always follow a serious moment with a joke to break the tension. (Which is why, for example, Hawkeye makes a small joke while sitting next to BLANK'S freshly dead body in "Avengers: Age Of Ultron".)

Does that feel like what you want at this point, as characters are possibly killed in this one? Or would you like more heaviness and less humor as the stakes are raised? Or maybe more humor AND more heaviness to keep the balance between the two while also raising stakes?

Anything else, story-wise, that you're hoping for?

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

What Do You Want From "Avengers: Infinity War"? Empty Re: What Do You Want From "Avengers: Infinity War"?

Post  Rickster April 25th 2018, 5:35 pm

I want a fun movie and to learn more about Thanos. As for tone since its directed by the Russo brothers I expect the tone to be along the lines of the Winter Solider and Civil War movies
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1759
    Geek-Cred : 11

What Do You Want From "Avengers: Infinity War"? Empty Re: What Do You Want From "Avengers: Infinity War"?

Post  AdamCollings April 25th 2018, 6:58 pm

I'm not a typical marvel fan by any means. I do consider myself a fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but clearly, my tastes are much closer to yours in terms of tone.

I recently watched Thor: Ragnarok in preparation for Infinity War. I put off watching it because I didn't expect to like it. What I've decided is that my issue is not so much that it is light and comedic. Afterall, I enjoyed Spiderman Homecoming, and even didn't mind Gardians of The Galaxy 2 too much. The issue for me was, this was the wrong movie to be comedic. This was the climax of the Thor trilogy. The name itself contained "Ragnarok" - the end of the world. I want a movie about the end of the world to be dark and serious.

I kinda feel the same way about Infinity War. This is the culmination. This is where earth faces its greatest threat. Therefore, more than any other Marvel movie, I want this one to be serious.
    However, I'm not expecting it to be perfectly suited to my tastes.
    What I'm hoping for, is that I can enjoy the movie on the same level that I enjoyed the first Avengers. It was such a thrill to see the crossover element. All those characters on screen together interacting. This one is gonna be the ultimate crossover, bringing in even more characters into the mix for the first time. Hopefully, that will be enough to entertain me.

If the tone is similar to Winter Soldier, it'll probably be a decent fit for me.

From a story-telling perspective, I'm not expecting a masterpiece. Bringing so many threads together, so many characters, and still making a really engaging story, that's going to be a herculean effort on the part of the writers. If they can pull it off I will salute them. It would not be an easy script to write.

My biggest issue, however, is that I haven't seen Black Panther yet, and it's not gonna come out on Blu-Ray in time to see it before Infinity War.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter April 26th 2018, 9:37 am

AdamCollings wrote:

My biggest issue, however, is that I haven't seen Black Panther yet, and it's not gonna come out on Blu-Ray in time to see it before Infinity War.

I think you'll be okay. That movie felt pretty self-contained and didn't seem to be setting up much for Infinity War except for a reference to where Bucky Barnes has been since Winter Soldier.

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1095
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  jorowi April 26th 2018, 10:57 am

I want there to be 1/4 of the heroes in it. I know that won't happen and I understand why.

Unfortunately, plots like this don't adapt to the screen very well.

The reason something like Infinity War or Secret Wars works in comics is because they're serialized. You can have a lot of different heroes apear in the story-line without packing them into every issue.

This doesn't work in movies and I think the film will be cluttered.

I hope I'm wrong.

BTW, NO SPOILERS!

Twitter
    Instagram
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1759
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings April 29th 2018, 7:36 pm

So, Paeter's review has got me excited.
    Now I'm really looking forward to watching this, probably in the next couple of weeks.

Sounds like this may be a movie that brings people together, because the way you describe it, it's got a little something in it for everyone.

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter April 30th 2018, 9:37 am

AdamCollings wrote:So, Paeter's review has got me excited.
    Now I'm really looking forward to watching this, probably in the next couple of weeks.

Sounds like this may be a movie that brings people together, because the way you describe it, it's got a little something in it for everyone.

Yeah, that's a great way to describe it. My feel is that, while it may lack some things that viewers like you and I want, and also have some things that long time Marvel fans don't want, there is a good chance it will have enough that both viewers want to make it something they can talk about enjoying together. And that's pretty cool!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 19th 2024, 3:36 am