Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

I finally saw Terminator: Dark Fate (spoilers)

AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 834
    Geek-Cred : 4

I finally saw Terminator: Dark Fate (spoilers) Empty I finally saw Terminator: Dark Fate (spoilers)

Post  AGoodReed February 17th 2020, 11:49 am

Since I'm too cheap and too busy to go see many movies in the theater, I tend to watch them when they hit streaming or when I visit my hometown in the States and have access to Redbox and my local library. Also, the in-flight entertainment on the airplane tend to help me fill in some gaps.

I watched Terminator: Dark Fate on the flight from LA to KC, and I really liked it. I was surprised when John Connor was dispatched so early. I thought it was going to be another dream, but it wasn't. Quite a buzzkill, since John was the focus of T2, and after following him through so much in that movie, it should seem like a cheat to lose him so unceremoniously right after it. Something similar happened to two characters from Aliens at the beginning of Alien 3, and it made me hate that movie and never finish it.

So it's weird that John's being written off didn't irk me that much. I think part of it is because of all the alternate timelines we have already. There have already been four different versions of a "Terminator 3," (counting T2-3D: Battle Across Time, the Universal Studios attraction) and John survives in all of them (becoming a bad guy in one). So having all those storylines available makes seeing a take where John dies much more acceptable.

Besides that, Dark Fate just felt like a proper sequel, albeit a distant one, to T2. I've liked every Terminator movie I've seen (and I'll probably like The Sarah Connor Chronicles if I ever get to it), but Rise of the Machines came across as part parody and Genisys had a much lighter tone and visual style than the first two Terminator films.

I liked that the humans were able to augment people with cybernetics in the future, but it came with risks like overheating. I liked Sarah being so bitter after what happened. Between this and 2018's Halloween, we're really rocking the tough-as-nails grown-up final girls from horror films.

The only other possible complaint I can think of is the bad Terminator trying to reason with the heroes before the climax. It doesn't seem like a very Terminator thing to do. Terminators have always been totally focused on completing their missions and only talking when necessary. But maybe that's a slight difference between Skynet and Legion Terminators.

(Now, how about somebody make an alternate Alien 3 where Hicks and Newt survive? Obviously as a comic or animated movie, since the actors are too old now.)

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 5:08 pm