Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

I finally saw Brightburn, and it made me angry.

AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 834
    Geek-Cred : 4

I finally saw Brightburn, and it made me angry. Empty I finally saw Brightburn, and it made me angry.

Post  AGoodReed December 5th 2020, 8:50 pm

I watched this movie a couple days ago, and by the end of it, I wanted to throw the DVD against the wall. But it was a library copy, and even if it had been my own, I would've wanted to sell it.

I watched Paeter's Spoiler Car review today, and I had very different feelings than he did.

First of all, I hated that the bad guy won. I don't always hate movies where the bad guys win, but when I do, I hate them with a passion.

Here are some movies where evil wins (more or less) that I can at least appreciate (not including sequel bait):

And here are the few that elicited similar reactions to Brightburn:

What was the difference? Irony, I think. The ones I didn't hate either gave the protagonists a way out that, in their hubris, they ignored or refused, or they featured an ironic twist that highlighted

Second, it was gorier than I'd expected. I used to be into that kind of thing, but now it actually repulses me.

Third, I hate seeing kids become evil, especially under some dark power. It's a little more bearable if the film shows how their environment pushed them to go bad (as sort of a warning). In Brightburn, it seemed like there was no possible way for Brandon to not become a monster. Even if he'd been raised by the Kents in Smallville, I'm pretty sure the ship would have gotten a hold of his mind.

Fourth, it's possible that I'm upset at the "sacrilege" of twisting Superman's origin. I have read Mark Waid's Irredeemable comic series, though, I I appreciated it quite a bit. The reasons the characters went bad are very different, though.

I think this film could be redeemed for me in a sequel, but I don't have a lot of faith in that happening. If this is just a supervillain origin story, and eventually, we get to see his defeat, I'll probably be happy (depending on how it plays out). But until then, I'm going to be reading spoilers for any more movies in this series before I commit to seeing them.

Did anyone else notice that the protagonist from James Gunn's Super was shown briefly in the conspiracy theorist video during the credits? Apparently, this is the same universe. But that guy was actually trying to be a hero, so we'll see if that leads to anything. (I didn't like that movie, either, though, because of Ellen Page's character.)

Okay, I think I've got most of it off my chest.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

I finally saw Brightburn, and it made me angry. Empty Re: I finally saw Brightburn, and it made me angry.

Post  Paeter December 7th 2020, 11:33 am

Surprising but interesting to get your reaction! Thanks!

www.spiritblade.com

Current date/time is April 29th 2024, 5:22 am