Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

Geeky Thing You've Done With Your Parent/Child

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Geeky Thing You've Done With Your Parent/Child Empty Geeky Thing You've Done With Your Parent/Child

Post  Paeter July 9th 2018, 11:25 am

Although in the early years of marriage I got together to play nerdy board games with my dad now and then, we didn't really share any nerdy hobbies when I was a kid. It's definitely been a different story with my boys. We've sporadically played some HeroQuest, D&D and more recently some video game RPGs like Champions of Norrath and Final Fantasy 2/4. We haven't hit on a single thing that we come back to regularly, but we may be getting close.

Anyone else either have memories of nerdiness with a parent or something more recent with a child?

www.spiritblade.com
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Geeky Thing You've Done With Your Parent/Child Empty Re: Geeky Thing You've Done With Your Parent/Child

Post  mindspike July 11th 2018, 3:56 pm

My father taught me to love Tolkein. He had the Rankin-Bass Hobbit on vinyl and we would listen to it over and over. Every time it aired - usually around Thanksgiving - we would make sure to take time to watch it. Later, he introduced me to Lord Foul's Bane by Donaldson. When my oldest sister's husband taught me to play Ogre and then gave me a copy of Battlefield Earth, I finally forgave him for stealing her from us.

My son plays in our monthly D&D game and my daughter is a modern anime fan girl. We go to the local conventions whenever possible.

AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Geeky Thing You've Done With Your Parent/Child Empty Re: Geeky Thing You've Done With Your Parent/Child

Post  AdamCollings July 11th 2018, 9:50 pm

Never really thought of my parents as nerds, although they did introduce me to the original Star Trek.

I've spent a lot of hours playing Minecraft with my kids, and I'm currently going through the Marvel movies with my son in order.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter July 12th 2018, 8:32 am

mindspike wrote:My father taught me to love Tolkein. He had the Rankin-Bass Hobbit on vinyl and we would listen to it over and over. Every time it aired - usually around Thanksgiving - we would make sure to take time to watch it. Later, he introduced me to Lord Foul's Bane by Donaldson. When my oldest sister's husband taught me to play Ogre and then gave me a copy of Battlefield Earth, I finally forgave him for stealing her from us.

My son plays in our monthly D&D game and my daughter is a modern anime fan girl. We go to the local conventions whenever possible.

Living the dream, dude! That sounds great!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter July 12th 2018, 8:35 am

AdamCollings wrote:Never really thought of my parents as nerds, although they did introduce me to the original Star Trek.

I've spent a lot of hours playing Minecraft with my kids, and I'm currently going through the Marvel movies with my son in order.

Yeah, I think my boys are about ready for something like that. The Iron Man flicks have some sexiness I'll have to navigate with them, but otherwise those movies seem to stay pretty well in the family zone. I'll have to give that some thought!

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1095
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  jorowi July 12th 2018, 9:47 am

My parents weren't into nerd or geek culture. However, my dad was computer operator in the Army. He took me to work when I was five and I got to feed punch cards into a mainframe. He bought me my first computer: a Commodore VIC-20.

My boys and I like to watch the Marvel movies. My 2nd daughter and I watch movies together too. We saw Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom this week.

I coached two of my boys and daughter #3 for a First LEGO League team.

We own robots that we play with occasionally.

My oldest son stole by dice bag when he went to college and still hasn't returned it. Mad

Twitter
    Instagram
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings July 12th 2018, 6:29 pm

jorowi wrote:He took me to work when I was five and I got to feed punch cards into a mainframe.

That's so cool!
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate July 15th 2018, 10:24 am

I inherited my nerd mantle from my dad. He always took me to scifi movies when I was a young girl, taught me to enjoy scifi tv series and books, and stayed genuinely excited to do these things with me until he died in 2014.

I also got him to play hero quest with me (he had never heard of such a thing, it was a rather obscure thing in the netherlands at the time) - even my mom played along - and he really got into it, screaming in frustration when the dice rolled against him and I slayed him with my ogre boss (I was of course the DM).

Fun memories.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter July 16th 2018, 10:59 am

ComiKate wrote:and he really got into it, screaming in frustration when the dice rolled against him and I slayed him with my ogre boss (I was of course the DM).

Lol! Awesome.

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter July 16th 2018, 11:01 am

jorowi wrote:

My oldest son stole by dice bag when he went to college and still hasn't returned it. Mad

Maybe it's a sign of his love for you. "My dad is so cool. I know that HIS dice will bring me success in gaming if anything will!"

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 2nd 2024, 2:09 pm