Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Zack Snyder's Justice League: Justice Is Gray Edition

AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 835
    Geek-Cred : 4

Zack Snyder's Justice League: Justice Is Gray Edition Empty Zack Snyder's Justice League: Justice Is Gray Edition

Post  AGoodReed October 25th 2021, 12:33 pm

The other day, I was browsing all the DC stuff on HBO Max, and I saw something called Zack Snyder's Justice League: Justice Is Gray. Has anyone seen this yet? It's the Snyder Cut of Justice League presented in a more full-screen 4:3 format and in black and white/grayscale. It says at the beginning that the 4:3 format is meant to "preserve the integrity of Zack Snyder's original vision." So he originally pictured it in full screen? That's weird.

Is this appealing to anyone? I might watch it sometime, but I don't have any full screen TVs around to play it on.

Sorry if this was already brought up on the podcast or something. I've been very selective in my podcast listening recently.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Zack Snyder's Justice League: Justice Is Gray Edition Empty Re: Zack Snyder's Justice League: Justice Is Gray Edition

Post  AdamCollings October 25th 2021, 5:41 pm

The original Snyder Cut was also in 4:3 with that same message at the beginning. I guess you were so enthralled by the movie that you didn't notice.

Before it came out, Zack talked about how he framed Justice League for IMAX screens, because that's where it would look its best. He argued that superheroes are tall rather than wide, so to make the most of their heroic poses, you want to see them in a more square format.

I'll admit that I was dubious. I loved the switch to widescreen back when it first happened. It made everything feel more epic and cinematic.
    Could a movie shows in 4:3 really work, or would it just feel like I'd gone back to the early 90s?

Turns out, it worked just fine for me. I quickly forgot I was watching 4:3 and didn't even notice.
    You won't need a "full-screen TV" You'll just get black bars left and right, which you'll quickly forget about.

Here's an article about it
    https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/zack-snyder-justice-league-4-3-aspect-ratio/

You really didn't notice back in March that the Snyder cut was 4:3?
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 835
    Geek-Cred : 4

Zack Snyder's Justice League: Justice Is Gray Edition Empty Re: Zack Snyder's Justice League: Justice Is Gray Edition

Post  AGoodReed October 25th 2021, 6:29 pm

AdamCollings wrote:The original Snyder Cut was also in 4:3 with that same message at the beginning. I guess you were so enthralled by the movie that you didn't notice.

Before it came out, Zack talked about how he framed Justice League for IMAX screens, because that's where it would look its best. He argued that superheroes are tall rather than wide, so to make the most of their heroic poses, you want to see them in a more square format.

I'll admit that I was dubious. I loved the switch to widescreen back when it first happened. It made everything feel more epic and cinematic.
    Could a movie shows in 4:3 really work, or would it just feel like I'd gone back to the early 90s?

Turns out, it worked just fine for me. I quickly forgot I was watching 4:3 and didn't even notice.
    You won't need a "full-screen TV" You'll just get black bars left and right, which you'll quickly forget about.

Here's an article about it
    https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/zack-snyder-justice-league-4-3-aspect-ratio/

You really didn't notice back in March that the Snyder cut was 4:3?

You're generous in assuming that I have a memory that can hold onto such specifics. When someone says "last March," I still think back to March 2020. The last two years have felt like just one long, unchanging year to me. Probably due to my unique limbo situation.

So I guess the only difference in Justice Is Gray is the fact that it's in black and white. Is that interesting to anyone? I remember when a black and white version of The Mist was included on the DVD release, but that was a horror movie (with CG monsters), so I can see the appeal there. For a superhero action epic, I'm not sure.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings October 25th 2021, 11:25 pm

AGoodReed wrote:You're generous in assuming that I have a memory that can hold onto such specifics. When someone says "last March," I still think back to March 2020.

LOL
    Actually, my post originally said "when it came out last year" and then I realised that it actually came out March of this year, so I had to edit it. So I get it.
    But, yeah, your unique limbo has certainly been tougher than my relative normal life.

The black and white thing doesn't especially appeal to me. I don't entirely get it. I think I read that the reason for this was that Snyder's rough cut, that some of the actors saw, when they voiced their support for #ReleaseTheSnyderCut, was only available in black and white, so he just got used to seeing the movie that way.

I don't remember if Justice is Gray was available down here on Binge, but I never watched it.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter October 28th 2021, 7:24 pm

AGoodReed wrote:

So I guess the only difference in Justice Is Gray is the fact that it's in black and white. Is that interesting to anyone?

I have HBO max from a recent review, so I'll try to remember to take a look. It would only interest me if he somehow leaned into the B&W, playing with contrast or something. I remember there being a B&W version of Mad Max Fury Road that was also said to be the director's preferred version, but I never watched it.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 2nd 2024, 2:41 pm