Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Rediscovering Marvel

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Rediscovering Marvel Empty Rediscovering Marvel

Post  Paeter May 7th 2014, 4:56 pm

As I wait for select DC storylines to become available in TPB I'm resuming my reading in the Ultimate Marvel Universe. My reading order got a little screwed up, because at one point I thought I was too far ahead in spider-man. (There is a storyline called "Ultimatum" that I thought was connected to the Ultimate Marvel crossover event which took place much later.) So for a bit I was behind on spider-man, and now I'm too far ahead, getting my other Ultimate books caught up to the events of "The Death Of Spiderman".

I've heard good things about Miles Morales and hopefully will enjoy those stories. I'm also under the impression that the recent "Cataclysm" storyline event ended publishing of the Ultimate Marvel Universe, which would be cool by me, although in general I've been enjoying all the Ultimate Marvel stuff.

Should I decide I want to get into mainline Marvel, can anyone recommend TPBs to start with that feature storylines that re-introduce the character to new readers? I know most all of these characters and even a good amount of their history through nerd-osmosis, but I like to feel like I'm coming onboard at a place that won't require me to constantly be looking back. In particular I'm interested in:

Spider-man (which I fear will have no jumping on point that looks good)
    Iron Man
    Captain America
    The Avengers
    The Hulk
    Fantastic Four
    X-Men

Any suggestions?

www.spiritblade.com
    tmorrill
    tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Rediscovering Marvel Empty Re: Rediscovering Marvel

Post  tmorrill May 7th 2014, 5:25 pm

Way to beat me to it Paeter. Winter Soldier has me wanting to read some Captain America comics, so I'd appreciate any Cap' Comic suggestions.
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate May 8th 2014, 5:21 am

I've become totally a Marvel-girl as well - although I'm still also totally a DC-girl. And a Valiant-girl too! But who's counting.

Anywayz, while I may not know the perfect entry point, since I've only been a Marvel girl for like a year or so, I can and will recommend the storyline / event / crossover that I started with - and that got me hooked to several Marvel comics ever since: the Fear Itself event.

Hmm, it seems I tend to use major crossover events as entry points, since Blackest Night was my introduction to DC.
    I guess that's because a major event introduces you to 10-20 comics series at once, helping you to decide which characters you like by tasting the tie-ins, while enjoying the "main course" of the meal that is formed by the main storyline.
    But again: anywayz.

With Fear Itself, I'd suggest you read at least the Fear Itself comics (7 issues) and the Avengers, New Avengers, Invincible Iron Man and Journey into Mystery tie-ins. The Invincible Iron Man tie-in issues are hilarious, as are the Journey into Mystery ones, which focus mainly on Loki. Ah, just writing about them now make me want to dive into those TPBs once more! And like you, I hadn't read any of these comics before, just dived right into the event.
    If you want me to, I can post a reading order for all of the 122 issues I read (which is still not the complete event by the way), which is the order I found most fruitful.

Another good entry point into the Marvel Universe would be the Marvel Now reboot/relaunch/reimaging (take your pick). Marvel started all of its comics series anew, with all new #1 series. (Soooo copied from DC's New 52).
    I have to say I'm totally into Jonathan Hickman's Marvel Now Avengers, New Avengers and, later on, his Infinity crossover event. Also, Captain America, great read, as well as Iron Man, and, surprisingly good, Incredible Hulk. And many more.

A definite, definite, recommendation is The Superior Spider-man. Perfect entry point, for I NEVER read any Spider-Man like, at all - and I understood everything in it! It's great great writing, hilarious too imho, with enough flashbacks for new readers to understand crucial events from the previous series. Another plus: only 31 issues from start to finish, and the last one has recently been published so you can buy the entire series and BINGEread it (yea!) - which I have. That series has sooooo been worth my money! And unexpectedly too, since up until now I didn't like Spidey very much.
    But, I'm going to review this series soon on my blog and will send you a Spirit Blade Underground podcast entry cheers.

My gosh, I'll stop now, I'm practically drooling... Shocked  (On the other hand, I am ComiKate. Cool )

Hope this helps!
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter May 8th 2014, 12:43 pm

ComiKate wrote: I'm going to review this series soon on my blog and will send you a Spirit Blade Underground podcast entry cheers.

Can't wait! Surprised to hear that Superior Spider-man is a good jumping on point. The whole premise just sounds entrenched in continuity. Thanks for all the suggestions!

www.spiritblade.com
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington May 21st 2014, 5:49 pm

The Marvel Now's All New X-Men is a perfect jumping on point for X-Men comics, because the main characters don't really know what is going on, so you find out as they find out and it works perfectly for the story. This is one of the best comics on the shelves right now in my opinion and the first couple trades are one of my favorite comic storylines.  What a Face  Also Uncanny X-Men is a good companion book to All New X-Men.

Rediscovering Marvel All-ne11
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington May 21st 2014, 5:54 pm

Paeter wrote:Surprised to hear that Superior Spider-man is a good jumping on point. The whole premise just sounds entrenched in continuity.

I think Dan Slott does a good job at keeping you in the know as to what is going on. There is a quick recap of how everything is the way it is in the first issue and as long as you have a basic understanding of Spider-Man and Doc Ock, you should be fine I think. This is also a fantastic series.

You could also start at the Brand New Day story where Dan Slott started writing Spidy full-time. It is a good jumping on point and there are some great stories in there.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 7th 2024, 1:36 am