Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+7
Dreamerhorwitz
Drew.Rub
Paeter
Nathan James Norman
Rickster
Dunadwarf
DNArington
11 posters

Marvel or DC?

DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Marvel or DC? Empty Marvel or DC?

Post  DNArington October 3rd 2012, 11:35 am

Marvel or DC? Why?
    Dunadwarf
    Dunadwarf

Activity : 218
    Geek-Cred : 5

Marvel or DC? Empty Re: Marvel or DC?

Post  Dunadwarf October 3rd 2012, 4:07 pm

I tend to be like Paeter. I prefer the characters of DC, but that's no slight on Marvel. I just prefer the universe I'm more familiar with, and I'm primarily familiar with the Bruce Timm animated series'.
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster October 3rd 2012, 8:44 pm

I'm a marvel fan I really don't know why I just always did
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman October 3rd 2012, 10:17 pm

I'm a DC guy... mostly because I can't afford to be both and I grew up having more exposure to Superman and Batman.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter October 3rd 2012, 10:33 pm

Similar story to Nathan for me. Plus I tend to like very powerful characters, and conceptually it seems that the DC characters are more powerful than the average Marvel hero.

I'm not anti-marvel. Just can't afford both and so lean toward DC because conceptually, at least, their characters come closer to scratching my itches.

www.spiritblade.com
    Drew.Rub
    Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub October 4th 2012, 7:15 am

Fan of good story arcs, Marvel or DC. I grew up with Bats and Sups (okay,on tv, not in comic books), but in college really keyed into the X teams (X-Men mostly).
    Dreamerhorwitz
    Dreamerhorwitz

Activity : 77
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  Dreamerhorwitz October 4th 2012, 2:00 pm

I use to go for both of them, but then Marvel decided to pretend that Spider-man never learned how to use great power responsibly. Now I just go for the Elseworlds tales of DC (since they want to treat their characters like that) and possibly the MC2 stuff.
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338

Post  Rickster October 4th 2012, 7:08 pm

I should add the only comic's I've read redently were the 3 based on The old Disney Afternoon shows (Darkwing Duck, Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers, and Ducktales) that Boom had done brefly. I'm still hopeful that Marvel will someday continue the series
    DNArington
    DNArington

Post  DNArington October 4th 2012, 9:28 pm

I'm a Marvel guy, myself. I've just always found the Marvel characters more interesting. (Plus Spiderman is Marvel and he's my favorite superhero, so that helps.) Conceptually and character-wise I've always perfered the liens of Spiderman, Hulk, Wolverine and so on over Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and so on. Though DC does have some awesome characters (and stories) like Batman, Flash and even Aquaman!
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike October 4th 2012, 10:32 pm

Both comic houses seem to have systematically taken steps to alienate me from the books I read. At one time, was buying Spider-Man, Avengers, Thunderbolts, Batman (all of them), Booster Gold, Green Lantern, Teen Titans.... the list goes on. Each of the books was eventually given to writers and editors that took them in directions I found at best uninteresting and usually artistically offensive. So I quit.

The only thing I read nowadays is Girl Genius. The whole thing is available online, but if you spend the next month reading - well, you've been warned.
    http://girlgenius.net

As for cartoon series, Young Justice, Avengers, and Ultimate Spider-Man are worth their weight in gold right now.

ProfessorAlan

Activity : 115
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  ProfessorAlan October 5th 2012, 5:07 pm

My all-time favorite characer is Doctor Doom, but have been more a DC guy all my life. My reading is probably something like this:

DC (including Vertigo): 65%
    Marvel: 25%
    Other / independent: 10%
    DNArington
    DNArington

Post  DNArington October 6th 2012, 1:43 am

mindspike wrote:
    As for cartoon series, Young Justice, Avengers, and Ultimate Spider-Man are worth their weight in gold right now.

Glad to hear Ultimate Spider-Man is good. I am disappointed they canceled the Spectacular Spider-man a while back, so I was hoping for somthing good form Ultimate Spider-Man. Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes is freaking amazing!! (at least the first season is, haven't seen the second.) It is a serious dissapiontment that they are canceling it after season 2 is complete. Sad ( http://screenrant.com/marvel-cancels-avengers-earths-mightiest-heroes-adds-avengers-assemble-scott-178766/ )

ProfessorAlan wrote:
    Other / independent: 10%

Other than Pistolfist I've barely read any indie comics. Is there any you would suggest?
    ProfessorAlan
    ProfessorAlan

Post  ProfessorAlan October 6th 2012, 2:56 pm

Mostly that is Walking Dead, from Image. But also David Petersen's Mouse Guard, and I hear that the IDW Star Trek / Doctor Who crossover series is very good, but I am waiting for the trade on that one.
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate October 7th 2012, 7:20 am

DNArington wrote:Other than Pistolfist I've barely read any indie comics. Is there any you would suggest?
    ProfessorAlan wrote:Mostly that is Walking Dead, from Image. But also David Petersen's Mouse Guard, and I hear that the IDW Star Trek / Doctor Who crossover series is very good, but I am waiting for the trade on that one.

There are many many great non-DC/Marvel comics I could add, too much to list all of them here. So I'll skip the better-known ones like
    Grimm Fairy Tales by Zenescope (for your fairy tale horror fix), Michael Turner's Fathom series by Aspen Comics and
    Executive Assitant Iris by Aspen Comics (cute personal assistant is also a martial arts assassin).

I can recommend a couple that I really really dig, call it my Top 3 of the Day if you will:

* Nonplayer - this is my absolute number one indie pick. It's a very unique mix of sci fi and fantasy and includes the concept of RPG gaming as a very interesting plot point. It's by Nate Simspon. The only bad thing I have to say about it is that he still hasn't come out with issue 2 and it's been a year since issue 1! Evil or Very Mad
    Marvel or DC? Nonplayer3

* Seven Warriors by Boom, with art by Francis Manapul (which I love). This is a three-issue fantasy series so very easy to read AND finish. Interesting, exciting story about seven female warriors protecting one prince.
    Marvel or DC? 7Warriors-covers

* Samurai's Blood by Image. This is a six-issue series about the struggle of a young man who dreams of becoming a Samurai but to his own horror ends up being a ninja instead. Great character developments, great mix between historical adventure, realistic moral struggles and great action. Great art as well.
    Marvel or DC? Samurai

Well, like I said, there are so many cool non-DC/Marvel comics out there I hardly know where to start Wink

ProfessorAlan
    ProfessorAlan

Post  ProfessorAlan October 7th 2012, 9:29 am

Image, IDW, Boom, Dark Horse, Oni -- all of these have some interesting titles in their house.
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Post  mindspike October 7th 2012, 3:34 pm

Adventure! Romance! Mad Science!
    Girl Genius is the critically acclaimed web and print comic written and drawn by the legendary Phil and Kaja Foglio. If you haven't joined the legions of the golden trilobyte yet, you are truly missing out on something special.
    Marvel or DC? Welcomepage5
    Didn't someone post a link to another web comic a while back... Something about airship pirates....

mindspike
    Admin

Post  mindspike October 7th 2012, 4:01 pm

Got it! Lady Sabre and the Pirates of the Ineffable Aether!
    http://www.ineffableaether.com/
    Marvel or DC? Big-545x241
    I haven't read this one yet, but it's been on my to-do list for long enough...
    Very helpful site for webcomics: http://www.thewebcomiclist.com/

DNArington

Post  DNArington October 7th 2012, 5:05 pm

mindspike wrote:Adventure! Romance! Mad Science!
    Girl Genius is the critically acclaimed web and print comic written and drawn by the legendary Phil and Kaja Foglio. If you haven't joined the legions of the golden trilobyte yet, you are truly missing out on something special.
    Marvel or DC? Welcomepage5
    Didn't someone post a link to another web comic a while back... Something about airship pirates....

Just started reading that and so far I'm enjoying it. Got a LONG way to go,and I'm looking forward to it!

ComiKate wrote:* Nonplayer - this is my absolute number one indie pick. It's a very unique mix of sci fi and fantasy and includes the concept of RPG gaming as a very interesting plot point. It's by Nate Simspon. The only bad thing I have to say about it is that he still hasn't come out with issue 2 and it's been a year since issue 1!

When you say issue 1 do you mean 1 graphic novel or 1 actual 22-23 page comic?

ComiKate wrote:
    * Samurai's Blood by Image. This is a six-issue series about the struggle of a young man who dreams of becoming a Samurai but to his own horror ends up being a ninja instead. Great character developments, great mix between historical adventure, realistic moral struggles and great action. Great art as well.

That sounds very interesting.

Thanks for the suggestions, All!
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate October 13th 2012, 5:28 pm

DNArington wrote:
    ComiKate wrote:* Nonplayer - this is my absolute number one indie pick. It's a very unique mix of sci fi and fantasy and includes the concept of RPG gaming as a very interesting plot point. It's by Nate Simspon. The only bad thing I have to say about it is that he still hasn't come out with issue 2 and it's been a year since issue 1!

When you say issue 1 do you mean 1 graphic novel or 1 actual 22-23 page comic?

I understand your question because I know it sounds unbelievable, but there it is, the cold-hearted truth: it's an actual 22-23 page comic issue. One. As in one. Creator Nate Simpson said in an interview that he'd worked on the first issue for a year and then he wrote somewhere that he had planned to take less than a year for the second issue. That was April/May 2011. Then he broke his collar bone. Then he needed a day job. Then he was too busy to do the comic. All of which I can understand perfectly in and of themselves. But as a reader and a fan, I have to say: my, does he take his time. The latest news is from August 2012, when he wrote: "Nonplayer is still progressing, I'm still alive, it'll get done soon."
    So, what can I say but "Aaargh.... I want my number two issue!"

Still, issue #1 is a gorgeous comic to own anyway. Simpson has a way of telling his story without words, just showing you the scene, the atmosphere, what's going on, purely letting his art speak, telling his story visually more than verbally. Brilliant.
    Did I say I want my number two issue yet?

Dunadwarf
    Dunadwarf

Post  Dunadwarf October 15th 2012, 5:50 pm

Sounds like George R. R. Martin!
    BenAvery
    BenAvery

Activity : 322

Post  BenAvery October 15th 2012, 7:39 pm

Don't be dissing on George!

I had a comic book series that was on a yearly schedule. It wasn't meant to be, but that's the way it happened. Drawing a comic book takes a LOT of time and energy, and if you have a full time job, it's just about impossible.

~ Ben
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman October 15th 2012, 8:28 pm

BenAvery wrote:Don't be dissing on George!

I had a comic book series that was on a yearly schedule. It wasn't meant to be, but that's the way it happened. Drawing a comic book takes a LOT of time and energy, and if you have a full time job, it's just about impossible.

~ Ben

Amen! For the creative-type with a full-time job, he or she has to pretty much give up all of his or her downtime in order to be productive!
    Dunadwarf
    Dunadwarf

Post  Dunadwarf October 16th 2012, 5:44 pm

Nathan James Norman wrote:Amen! For the creative-type with a full-time job, he or she has to pretty much give up all of his or her downtime in order to be productive!
    True enough, but Martin is infamous for wasting time on political crap and peddling low-quality merchandise from Song of Ice & Fire and being pretty rude to any fans who ask for timetables. Add to that the fact that he keeps expanding his work (it was originally going to be a trilogy and now it'll be a minimum of seven books) while doing everything BUT writing. Based on the quality slip of the fourth book and what others have told me of the fifth, and it seems he's already peaked.
    Frankly, I've given up on him and will wait until he publishes the last book (if ever) before I read "Dance with Dragons" and onward.
    BenAvery
    BenAvery

Activity : 322

Post  BenAvery October 16th 2012, 9:04 pm

Well, admittedly, as the creator of some of what could be considered some of the low-quality merchandise, I am a bit biased. I'd say that George isn't so much rude to fans who ask for timetables, but exasperated that fans keep asking for timetables even after he gives answers like there being no timetable to give.

As for doing everything BUT writing, what I know about how he spends his time I'd also say that's not true, although he may not be writing what his fans think he is supposed to be writing. Like I said, I'm a bit biased, but while I agree that the time it has taken for the books to be completed is long, as a writer myself I have to say if I have the luxury to take my time and get the results I want vs. churning out a product that other people think they want, I'll take my time. Like Douglas Adams said, "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a deadline to make . . . and one that I've missed . . .

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 15th 2024, 1:30 am